Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Code #228

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by bluewagon, Aug 25, 2010.

bluewagon

My check engine soon light came on last Friday and stayed on for about two days. It has been off now since Sunday AM The code was read by an Ind. service. Could any one tell me what this code is ?????
    Thanks bluewagon

bcweir

You do have a few options

1) You can buy a Peake Research scan tool for about $100 which will tell you what the generic OBD-II codes are, if this is one of them, a pamphlet that comes with the tool will say something like "code 1234 - Map sensor." You will then know that the MAP Sensor in your car's engine tripped an error in your car's check engine light.

What it WON'T tell you is what the problem is or how to fix it. These codes were never designed to tell non-service technicians specifics. For that, you either need a service technician or a GT-1 diagnostic computer starting at around $50,000 BEFORE options. At best, a scan tool can only point you in the right direction, and after you fix the problem, it will (hopefully) reset the light and the trouble code. Of course, if you don't fix the problem, or if you didn't fix it RIGHT, the code will come back again.

2) My favorite option - get a Bentley manual. This will teach you more about your car and how to fix it yourself than any scan tool ever will. You can order one direct from bentleypublishing.com

For a variety of reasons, the OBD-II system was NEVER intended to permit non-service technicians to service their own vehicles. This is bread and butter for a dealership service shop, but it could also be for liability reasons to keep a Luddite user from further mucking things up then later inviting a product liability lawsuit when a $50 problem gets turned into a $4,000 engine overhaul by the clueless novice. Who knows?

Word of advice -- if you have no clue what you're doing, please don't poke around what you don't understand. Take it to a service professional.