Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Clutch slave cylinder replacement--320i tranny in '02

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by skyking96w, Jun 29, 2010.

skyking96w

My '02 has a 320i 5-spd tranny, and it appears that the clutch slave cylinder is leaking. Is replacement of the slave cylinder a fairly straightforward job? I have a '02 shop manual, but, of course, it does not cover transmission conversions.

MGarrison

IF the e21 is anything like the E30 (I'm guessing they're similar - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1733&mospid=47175&btnr=21_0052&hg=21&fg=05), and as long as access to the fluid line and mounting bolts isn't something ridiculous, then, ya, should be pretty straightforward.

Disconnect the fluid line from the slave cylinder, unbolt the slave cylinder from the transmission/bellhousing/whatever-the-heck-it's-bolted-to, installation is the reverse of removal, and bleed the system. If after bleeding you push your clutch pedal in and it sticks to the floor, pull it up, then either unbolt the slave cylinder from the transmission, let the piston extend as you detach it, and bolt back into place (& check the clutch pedal again), or reverse-bleed the system by forcing brake fluid (clean brake fluid) through the lines to clear the air lock.

CRKrieger

Should be a no-brainer, once you look at it. All the slaves from that period attached the same way.

skyking96w

Thanks. I guess I will have to hope that we pounded out that transmission tunnel and left lots of room around the slave. It's only been a quarter-century or so, and my recollection is a bit hazy, LOL.

miken1625