Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Cluster Board Decoder plug issue for my E34 M5

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by rdsciacca, Sep 16, 2015.

rdsciacca

Hello:

I am a new member and I currently have a number of BMW cars.
    An E34 Dinan powered M5
    A E30 M3
    An E34 525i

My cluster board needs a decoder plug fix. I have sent my M5 clusterboard to Programa and they said the cluster checks out fine. They have informed me that the decoder plug is defective. Is there any work arounds for this issue. Can a decoder plug from an E34 5 series from salvage be reprogrammed? Can the original decoder plug be repaired? BMW does not seem to have this part in the US or Germany. Please help me with any suggestions or guidance.

charlson89

From what I know about the coding plugs is you can not reprogram them and you have to order them with the numbers you get from the cluster self test. Switching them from car to car can be done but mileage and other things will not match up. Did the dealer give you a eta on when?

MGarrison

rdsciacca

Thanks for info and prompt response. Still figuring out basic communication steps with posting and replys.

rdsciacca

MGarrison

Sorry, should have been clearer - I meant I couldn't find Ben's email, which means you'd have to try and reach him where he works @ B&D from the info in the link above.

MGarrison

What's your production date? The month & year are on the door sticker, should be driver's side if memory serves

rdsciacca

My production date is July 1990

vin#WBSHD9311MBK05460
    Tried Ben but he's out until Monday. Thanks for the referral.

MGarrison

Hi, yes he's here @ O'fest, asking him for you, will relay what I can find out -

MGarrison

Ok - he said you have an early one & those are a bigger problem to work around, he'll have to look it up, said call him @ B&D, he'll be in Mon. after O'fest this week