Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Choosing my new 7 Series

Discussion in 'F01/F02 (2009-present)' started by 305565, Feb 7, 2010.

305565 guest

Sweet 7 Decisions, Decisions. I read with great delight not too long ago Satch Carlson's review of the new 7 with x-drive. Now comes the new 7 available with the M Sport package, looks great, but loses some of its "sport" when ordered with x-drive, it becomes simply an (expensive) appearance package. So the question then: is a new 7 series with x-drive, 19 inch wheels, and optional 4 wheel steering a better handler, and maybe sportier, than a RWD 7 with the M-Sport package, and maybe the 20 inch wheels? I I know the x-driver accelerates quicker. The x-driver would certainly be better in rain and snow, but we're talking all around here. Right now, I have a 2007 750i sport with 20" wheels. I love the way it drives, and have only had minimal issues with bad weather and traction. What do you think? Maybe we ask Satch to weigh in on this one.

MWbimmer guest

I have a set of BMW factory upgrade 21" 5 spoke chrome rims with Pirelli tires (285/30 ZR21 front and 245/35 ZR21 rear) I am selling for $2500 obo. They are off my father's 2008 750 Li. They only have 6k on them.

Just in case you are interested.

bcweir

Your statements are confusing. Do you know what X-drive is?

What does one have to do with the other? The M sport package consists of 19 inch light alloy V-spoke wheels with run flat tires (you can get 20" wheels for an extra $1,300), anthracite headliner, shadowline exterior trim (it's black instead of chrome trim pieces), active roll stabilization, aerodynamic kit, and an M-steering wheel. The active roll stabilization, 19 or 20 inch wheels with run flat tires add functionality to the car (larger wheels will firm up the ride, while run flat tires allow you to continue driving the car in the event of an impact to the tire, so it doesn't quite fit ANY definition as an (expensive) "appearance" package.

X-drive is BMW's new name for its all-wheel drive system. BMW has been offering all wheel drive models for its 3 and 5 series cars for around 25 years now, so that's not just an "appearance" package either, expensive or otherwise. The only feature "lost" with the X-drive system is Active Steering, which offers an advanced electronically-aided steering system to further enhance performance and handling. BMW claims they haven't (yet) figured out a way to allow retention of Active Steering and X-drive at the same time.

xDrive was introduced in 2003 with the new X3. Instead of a permanent torque split (which the earlier systems exhibit), xDrive provides torque split between the front and rear axles through the use of a multi-plate wet clutch located in the gearbox on the output to the front drive shaft. This setup allows xDrive to modulate the torque split between the front and the rear. If wheel slip was detected by the ABS/DSC system, xDrive will react quickly to adjust torque bias. The wet clutch is applied through a high speed electric servo motor turning a cam shaped actuator disc.

xDrive is connected to the ABS and DSC systems. In the case that wheelspin or directional instability still occurs while xDrive is or has been modulating the torque split, DSC will brake independent wheels to regain traction and improve directional stability without driver intervention.

The front and rear differentials in xDrive vehicles are an open differential design, thus relying on brake application by the DSC system to transfer power from the slipping wheel to the wheel with traction.

As you can imagine, X-drive isn't an "appearance package" either.

Lastly, it's a BMW, regardless of its equipment packages or what type of rear wheel vs. all wheel drive system. The only way a BMW can lose any of its "sport" is if you drive it like your grandfather's Buick or Oldsmobile instead of the advanced German engineered car that it is.

BMW's website fully documents the 7-series cars so that you can educate yourself and know exactly what you're buying, instead of falling prey to the misconceptions such as the ones mentioned in your post.

As for whether or not you need all-wheel drive to enjoy this BMW, that's a personal decision. However I would be inclined to say that if your region doesn't see a whole lot of snow or wet conditions during the winter or spring rainy season, you might want to ask yourself if such an expensive all wheel drive system is needed.

BMWCCA1

Nice quoting of the BMW catalog but if xDrive was the bee's knees for handling in general, then why isn't it standard on the M3 and M5? We're not talking front-wheel-drive cars here where beyond a certain power level they need AWD just to walk and chew gum at the same time. xDrive enhances handling for poor road conditions. If you've driven even a 328i in both RWD and AWD versions at much beyond old-lady speeds and aren't totally numb you'd realize why the original poster is asking the question.

ggondek

xnay on the x drive

Judging by your join date you probably know more than I do but here's my 2 cents worth. I live in southern OH and have ice and snow a few times a year. I drive (mostly) an E39 sport package. I use winter wheels and Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires from December to March. Last year I passed two stuck cars on a hill covered with snow. My car slipped all the way up but it went all the way up the hill. There's no way I would choose an x drive car over the 2 wheel driver. They are heavier and don't handle as well.

GGondek

granthr

Get the Alpina, in blue of course!!!!! :D:D

larry tarr guest

I just returned forn Munice my son and I picked up a new 750 IX with the individual package and drove it for 5 days all I can say is what a car, wonderful experience My question to anyone now is the car has 20 inch wheels , I live in Neb and need snow tires, what is the best brand to get? or would all seasons be just as good.

bcweir

What brand to get? You might as well ask what's the best color??

Best as in what? What are you looking for? Roadhandling? Comfort? Gas mileage?

What's most important to you?

Tirerack.com allows you to compare different tires against one another.

From what I hear, the top tire name brands are Continental (OE on BMW's for decades!), Bridgestone, and Yokohama (widely considered to be the Hyundai or Samsung of tires -- which isn't a bad thing these days -- I used them to describe what an aggressively priced value they are).

Congrats on that sweet car of yours!

eam3

Looking back at all the Pirelli tires I've had I can honestly say that I wouldn't put a set on any of my cars ever again even if they were free. They have all been absolute garbage - especially the ones that were on the car from the factory. I can vouch for Continental, General and naturally, Michelin. Pirelli? Never.

bcweir

Wow. Thanks Eam3.

I would have thought that a tire brand once known to be OE on the Porsche 911 Turbo would be a pretty good brand. Scratch that then!

I edited my previous post to reflect your information.

Thanks so much!