Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

chip/software update

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by REA328Ci, Sep 22, 2010.

REA328Ci

I am new member and want to get expert advise on re-maping factory computer setting to imporve performance (acceleration and top speed). I am looking at Bavarian Autosport software upgrade for my 328Ci - 2000. Question, is it worth the $300? Will I notice a difference? I installed an aFe cold-air intake, and a REMUS exhaust and got a little more power (I want to belive that afetr soending $1,000).

John in VA

Did you perform dyno test pre- & post-"upgrades?" Did you actually gain power, or noise?
    I also have an '00 328i, and have read many threads on the E46-specific forums that say the improvements are negligible for this engine.

az3579

I can't speak for the 328i, but for the 330i, I saw a chip for sale once and on the page for it were dyno results. Overall, the gain was only about 5-6hp, and about that much torque as well. Absolutely negligible for $300. It does remove the top speed limiter, however.

bcweir

Steve Dinan once put it like this...

He says nearly all engines are basically giant air pumps. The easier you make it for the car to get air, fuel and spark IN, as well as hot, spent exhaust gases OUT, the more power your engine will make

He also said in the old days (70's and 80's), when computer controls and fuel injection was just starting to show up in cars, auto manufacturers were squeezed by all kinds of compromises (cost, fuel economy, emissions). So when Dinan would get his hands on a BMW, he often found plenty of power left on the table by the original engineers. But these days, he says that stock engines are already pretty well optimized. That means he just has to work harder to improve on increasingly better job BMW is doing at bringing optimum power and fuel economy to the showroom floor.

I look at chips the same way I look at all the other parts -- just another component in a system. The chip won't double your horsepower all by itself (in fact, NO part can do that), but it can improve the efficiency of everything else and give you a better bottom line in the grand scheme of things.

I'd say optimize everything from your air filter to your combustion chamber, as well as your exhaust system, and the numbers will add up for you. But don't expect a chip to bring magic all by itself. Anybody who tells you that is trying to sell you something -- hardly an unbiased opinion.

floydarogers

As others have said, it may not be worth it. Looking around at all the E46 forums, if you do a cat-back exhaust, larger intake (BMWs are already cold-air), and chip, about the most you can get from those three is 15-20hp, TOTAL. The dyno runs I've seen posted are in the 10 hp range for the chips.

BMRDRVR

I can tell you I have been happy with my recent mods, which include Dinan CAI, free flow exhaust and reflash. Specifically, I have MUCH smoother and punchier acceleration. Throttle lag is gone. I don't know what the Bav Auto software promises, but if it removes throttle lag and top end limiter, then you will notice a difference. You'll also gain HP, but you're not going to suddenly produce a muscle car. It'll just be a hellofalot more fun to drive.

REA328Ci

No dyno test but definitly I gain some power (little but some) and a refine noise (low) that makes you feel better.