Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Check Engine Soon Light

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by bluewagon, Oct 7, 2010.

bluewagon

A little history. For the last two to three months my check engine light has been coming on.
    I have changed both intake and exhaust cam sensors.all 4 O2 sensors,lower radiator temp sensor.Last week I changed the Mass air flow sensor. Yesterday the check engine light came on again. Checking the code today said that the last three banks were running lean.
    What can be done to repair this fault?
    Could it be the brain? 03 325it with aprox 101000 miles nothing but Shell V power for the last 4 years.. The crankcase breather valve and hoses have also been replaced. The car is going to have a smoke test Monday.Looking for a vacuum leak.
    bluewagon
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Just one bank running lean is usually a vacuum leak or a secondary air leak. Smoking it should find the cluprit pretty quickly.

bluewagon

check emgine soon light

A follow up on the smoking that was done Monday. No vacuum leaks were found. The Intake Manifold runner Valve was Changed.Part #11 61 7 544 806

mooseheadm5

The DISA valve, as it is commonly called, is a common cause for intake vacuum leaks and odd codes. I was actually going to suggest you have it checked, but it is easiest to check with a smoke machine. Glad that is taken care of.

cdiesel guest

IF it reoccurs - get it to a dealer for proper diagnosis &

....accurate fault code read out with treatment

it's more than any shadetree hack can handle

[IMG]

mooseheadm5

Any indy shop with an Autologic or even a Launch can properly scan for codes. You don't have to depend on the dealer.

bluewagon

service engine soon

Paul I am with you. I have a great indy shop that i go to . they hav done a great job of reading codes. The car is running great right now. How good is the Indy shop??
    I received a FREE Mobile 1 oil change after my last visit.

e