Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

CHARGING MALFUNCTION

Discussion in 'E60 M5 (2006-present)' started by Jmilly5, Nov 10, 2013.

Jmilly5

What going on everyone. For my E60 M5 ive notice a charging malfunction alert on my screen. later leading to my battery dying. Testing the alternator it seemed fine so we replaced the battery and reregistered it to the car. a day later same alert appeared. Any ideas? Im out of warranty and trying not to spend another dime until absolutely sure the cause. Shes driven daily so its not a "sitting" issue.

charlson89

You may have an intermittent charging problem thats hard to catch. Have you tested the alternator output when the message comes on? I've seen the alternators fail in many different ways on the e60 M5 so this may be your problem.

Jmilly5

Good day, was hard to catch but I did test the alternator at the same time the message came on, Definitely appears to be the cause of the problem. Brand new battery had no juice today so im changing the alternator in the AM...Thanks I appreciate your input.