Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

CCV / Intake Manifold Rear Cover

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by kearnsclan, Mar 28, 2010.

kearnsclan guest

I have a 2001 540i 6spd @ 86K miles.

Routine maintenance to replace the CCV. ( rear of intake manifold )

Just took off my CCV / oil separator / Rear manifold cover ( all names for the same item) and cleaned it and replaced the torx head bolt with hex head. Now a much easier job to remove the CCV for replacement.

BTW.... I was able to do the removal with-out taking off any heater or rad hoses. Not hard really, just takes a little time and manual dexterity....plus the right tools. Anyone interested can message me back.

Most of the DIY's on this have it covered well.

QUESTION:
    I need some info after-market URO parts. How do they compare to OEM parts?

Figured since there are reputable vendors selling that brand, it must be a realiable brand... (?) yes/no ?

Any thots??

kearnsclan guest

CCV replaced on 540i 6spd

A follow up note on the replacement of the rear manifold cover or CCV.

WOW!!! What a difference in the performance !!

I changed the CCV for routine/preventative maintenance reason.

The car has 86 K miles.

I have read some real horror stories about the rear manifold cover/CCV getting plugged without warning & having diasterous results.

Thought all was well with the engine and the gas mileage was acceptable.

Took the old CCV apart only to find a dry rubber membrane stuck to the inner housing. I bet it was not working well, if at all. Now, I think I know where my oil leak is from. The oil breather tube connecting the from on the engine with the rear manifold cover was leaking at the rear connection because of a flat 'O' ring on the CCV side.

When replacing the new CCV, noted the center seal in the old CCV to the breather pipe inside the manifold was dry rotted and had no seal at all. Similar with the oil breather tube at the outside of the CCV. It was loose and leaking oil.... Did not notice this until installed the new CCV and saw how tight those connections were.

NOW, engine runs smooth with no rough cold idle and had pick up and highway performance I never have noticed.

Conclusion: Routine maintenence is worth the time and money. Even if you think things are 'OK'.

Hope this helps.