Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

catalytic converter $5,000

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by jmcilveen, Jul 20, 2009.

jmcilveen guest

my check engine light went on and i brought car in to auto shop.
    Told that catalytic converter was bad and that it would cost $4000-5000 to replace.
    I have a 97 540i. does that sound right?

John in VA

Tischer BMW sells the cats (there are two) for $1,375.24 plus a $50 core charge, each. List it $1,719.05 each. The oxygen sensors and probes (two each) add another $600, plus installation hardware costs. Then there is the labor charge for installation, unless you do the work.

jmcilveen guest

thanks.
    1) is it bad to be driving my car until i get this fixed? will i be doing any damage to it?
    2) is there a problem using an Eastern Catalytic product- 49 state- i see them listed at $500
    3) could this not be an 02 sensor issue and not a converter issue?

JackinMidtown guest

Get up under the car and bang on the cats. If they rattle, that means the media within them has busted loose. You run the risk of clogging your exhaust with this media. I wouldn't run it very long like that - although I did 800 miles with one cat out.

jmcilveen guest

Jack- what about using cats advertised by auto parts warehouse ..Eastern Catalytic Direct Fit 49 state...they run about $500 apiece....

JackinMidtown guest

I can just tell you, on my M3, the cats provided by both BavAuto in its M3 exhaust system and a catalytic converter shop that replaced the bad one were generic cats. I really can't say if the same type swap for your model is possible.

granthr

In deciding to go aftermarket or oem I would say it would depend on how long you plan on keeping the car. If you plan on keeping it a long time (another 100K) I would suggest getting the OEM units. If you are going to sell way before that then get the cheaper ones. Just be away you might have fitment issues with the cheaper one and they won't last as long. Cats are expensive because that have platum in them, which is a very expensive metal.

Autohaus guest

I would get a 2nd opinion. The CEL came on in the E46 and it was for the primary 02 sensors.

Rhumbline guest

I just got an SES light and they said it was a cat efficiency code. Looked on OEM BMW and they listed each cat (basically a combined cat and exhaust header) at around $2,500...EACH:eek:

My 2001 only has about 47K on the clock, so I'm having them reset it. If it comes back, I may try to have them replace them, gratis, under the EPA emissions warranty (8yrs/80K miles). Anyone tried doing this with a local dealership (mine's at Arlington (VA) BMW). Did they put up a battle or do it readily?

Autohaus guest

All depends on the in-service date of your vehicle. If it was late 2000 to July 2001, you are out of luck.