Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Carless new member

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by brian.w.cunningham, Apr 10, 2010.

brian.w.cunningham guest

I've been looking to buy a BMW (probably 2001-2006 M3) and a friend recommended that I come here first to become a bit more knowledgable. I've always wanted to own a BMW and am finally at a point in my life where it is possible. Just in the first hour I've spent on the site I'm thinking it was a worthwhile investment, and the community here is amazingly friendly and helpful. Looking forward to learning more, and even more to finally owning the ultimate driving machine.

tiFreak

welcome Brian, good luck on your M3 hunt :)

John in VA

granthr

Welcome!!! An M3 is a great way to enter the promised land! :D That is how I started and it was all down hill from there. :)

Brian A

Another thing you might consider is, bringing what you currently drive to an autocross (most chapters allow non-BMWs) (except maybe trucks and motorhomes). You'll be able to get a sense of what people like and don't like about their cars, where they've spent the mod-money and may be able to go out as a passenger during practice runs.

It is pretty cool how much good content there now is on the site. Its pretty searchable too.

bcweir

He didn't mention racing or autocrossing, and I think that should be his choice.

There are lots of BMW's that are enjoyed legally by their owners with no obligation or desire to take it to the track (as evidenced by the phrases "never raced" or "never tracked" in the Roundel classifieds). While I agree that it is a great place to hone one's driving skills, the purchase of a high-performance vehicle like an M3 doesn't mandate track duty.

He could just as easily get such input and feedback from a concours BMW non-track event from owners more interested in maintaining or customizing a BMW than they are in a track performance.

I say this because years ago I had a conversation with a former BMWCCA member who left because he reported he was treated as if he were crazy for not being interested in racing his E36 M3. It's unfortunate that by his report, his view of BMWCCA was distorted by a few misguided "racers" that couldn't respect his choice not to track his 3-series. It's not as if he chose to encase the car in a solid block of plastic or something just because he opted not to autocross or race it.

I hope he chooses whichever option brings him the most joy and fulfillment from his BMW.

I don't say this to suggest anything against members who choose to race their cars. I'm pointing out that he is a new member, is probably unfamiliar with BMWCCA, and shouldn't be under any obligation to "track" the car if he chooses not to. Nothing we say should give him that impression, and I wanted to make sure he understands this.

Cheers, regardless of what he decides!

az3579

Brian (bcweir),
    In no way was Brian (Brian A) [why so many Brians? lol] saying "you should do this", he was just saying it's something "he might consider" (look at how he phrased it). :p

bcweir

Thanks for the clarification.

I'd like to hope all members feel welcome no matter what they do with their BMW.

Brian A

I was just thinking that it might be a good place to find a bunch of crazy M3 owners who will talk your ear off simply by asking, "are those things any good?" There are lots of other non-racing venues too.

brian.w.cunningham guest

Warm Welcome

Thanks for the welcome and the links, I'll check them out too.

I'm definitely open to the option of racing, but don't have great intention of doing so. But I do have a couple of friends that are into it, so maybe they will convince me to give it a try.

Sorry visiting the track with my current Tacoma pickup is probably not practical. LOL, at least it's not a motorhome.

I'll start by reading up some here, and maybe try to come out to an event.

Glad to see there are plenty of other Brians here too.

bcweir

Um maybe you misunderstood...

You don't have to enter your truck into autocross or DE (driver education) event to talk to other BMW owners. I promise you -- no one will draft your Tacoma into a pole position on a track! The track will likely not require an overnight stay to talk to people.

The Tacoma is a means of getting to the PEOPLE at the track so you can talk to them.

I'm sure that's what he meant. At any rate, welcome!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the funhouse!

Indeed, I think one way to make a "which BMW?" decision might involve in hanging out with the zanes who already drive them. You'll find that we are a cult with many diverging sects ("That's all we think about: sects, sects, sects!"), each of which is certain they are devoted to the ONE TRUE BMW; all the others are blasphemous heretics.

You can meet an entire array of these honyacks at any BMW CCA event.

So it comes down to this: a car is a tool. Most tools have one quite specific use; some will do several things adequately. What work is your tool most required to do?

If you haul a lot of garden supplies and fertilizer, you will probably not get a lot of use from a Z4 or Z3. That said, BMW has long been famous for inventing the sport sedan-a practical car which nevertheless provided sports-car handling and performance. That's why Party A drives a 335i sedan; the four doors make it practical (especially with the fold-down rear seats), but the damn thing is a rocket ship (oh, DAMN you, Steve Dinan!).

My Z4 roadster has other uses. Mainly, it is quite efficient at freeing my inner delinquent. And its therapeutic qualities border on the miraculous.