Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Car Jerks In 1st When Accelerator Is Released

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by EvaUnit02, May 18, 2009.

EvaUnit02

I have a manual 2001 330xi with 80,000 miles. My car jerks a little bit (like a bad shift) when I release the accelerator in first gear. Is this the sign of a bad clutch? Bad transmission? Am I just doing something wrong? Is this normal? Would a replacing the transmission fluid help?

Forgive my neophytic questions. I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks in advance!

tobandals guest

Does it do it all the time? I have a manual 2001 330Ci and I have something like this happen the odd time, but not regularly. I have had the car over 5 years and it's always done it. I have never worried about it because it happens so rarely. I have had the transmission fluid changed a few times in the time I have had it, and I don't think that has made a difference. I have thought it might be the throttle, because of the way it kinda surges. Not sure if that helps, but if we are talking about the same thing, I don't think it's an issue.

EvaUnit02

It happens all the time. If I'm in first and rev up to say, 3000rpm then release the accelerator (no feet on any pedals at this point), the car will take a split second and then lurch before slowing down.

az3579

Mine does that too.
    I don't think our cars like having the throttle suddenly be off when in first gear. I would consider this normal.

EvaUnit02

Thanks very much!