Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Cannot get out of Park

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by krazykatkb, Jan 18, 2015.

krazykatkb

I just replaced the brake light switch on my 1994 525I. I was very proud of myself until I discovered I now cannot get it out or park. Starts fine the steering wheel locks and unlocks as normal.
    Searching online I see there is a solenoid that is involved in some way with the brake light switch, but I cannot find a good explanation of how they are related.
    Not sure what to do now. Might this be an easy fix or how can I get it towed to a shop.
    Man, I thought the switch replacement was supposed to be straight forward. I did not see this curve ball coming.
    Thanks for any and all help
    Kristen

charlson89

The brake switch is used to for safety when shifting. You foot has to be on the brake to shift the vehicle out of park. The brake sensor tells the control modules of the vehicle that you are pushing the brake and it is ok to all ow you to shift out of park. When you installed the brake sensor did you make sure you adjusted it so it makes contact when the brake pedal is pushed?

MGarrison

krazykatkb

Thanks charlson 89 and MGarrison.
    There must have been some Divine intervention. Went out tonight to give it another shot and it started right up, shifted through the gears just fine, and the brake lights are working.
    Now lets see if it still works tomorrow :)
    Brake Light Circuit error message is gone, but I am still getting a Check Control error message when I turn on the head lights and press the brake peddle.
    I will think about that one later. Time for a celebratory drink.
    Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated.