Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Can one export music from X5 hard drive to ipod?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by Eric and Jess, Jun 13, 2013.

Eric and Jess

Hello,
    We were long time owners of BMW motorcycles but as we have aged have switched to BMW cars in just the last couple of years. Still want all the performance and technology but now craving the refinement and comfort that the four wheels deliver.

My question is this, we have a '10 X5 35d with lots of our music stored on it's hard drive. We have downloaded it onto a flashdrive as backup. Is there a way to download this onto an ipod/iTunes? When we try to do this on the computer it's listed as some sort of video/graphics file that won't convert. I was hoping to just download it onto the ipod, or into iTunes, and then play it through the auxillary input on our '07 Z4 3.0Si. Is there any way to do this, or is it not possible?

Many thanks from a couple of newbies,
    Eric and Jess.

MGarrison

I hope somebody here has some definitive answer for you - I'm wondering if you have some varying formats going on - if whatever format your X5 plays, or has stored, is different or incompatible with an ipod or your computer, then it sounds like it would take something to convert to whatever might work. If you have a common format like .mp3 or .wav, it would seem just shuffling or copying files from one thing to another ought to work, I think ipods play apple's musical format(s), plus .wavs, and I would think .mp3's, although not positive on .mp3's, would have to check to confirm. If you're trying to convert from one format to another and your computer isn't recognizing one, it might be the conversion program, a driver or extra software component for the program, or the computer needs some driver or software for it to recognize the file format, and I'm sure those aren't the sole possibilities.

charlson89

Eric and Jess

Due to the format differences from the IPOD/itunes and BMW hard drive there is now way to directly download in either direction from or to an IPOD to the BMW hardrive. I believe on your model this depends on production of the vehicle the hard drive is only able to download and can not upload. Any downloads to the hardrive do need to be done through the usb port in the glove box not in the center console. If you have any other question about this or other things about your vehicle please ask.

Eric and Jess

Many thanks, we kind of thought this would be the case. We appreciate all the input.
    Cheers,
    Eric and Jess.