Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Buying used E-46 Be prepared to restore:

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Region' started by 352123, May 27, 2022.

A E-46 Testimonial
    In early 2020 I purchased for 5K a E-46, M54 2005 325ic 32000 miles basically unused Corporate lease owner out of Tampa BMW Dealer. Because the car sat in a showroom for years the rubber gaskets all had to be lubed with silicone paste and spray. The canvas convertible cabro top rattled and all the gearing had to be re-lubed. Next the check water coolant dash light went on and off. The pressure was good, replaced water cap. Then the MAF sensor code. Make sure and buy non asian knockoff parts. Then codes on my coils. Replaced plugs with new coils. Then codes for air intake leak, Replaced and restomod K&N new air intake system. All new hoses and boots and clamps. Changed out wiper wash motors for headlights. The dash board started to light up like a Christmas tree... it was the ignition switch underneath the steering wheel. My airbag on the dash was recalled so the Bimmer dealer came out to replace. My DISA Valve failed so I replaced with OEM. All fluids flushed and changed. New brake pads. New tires. I installed a Dension made in Hungry behind the radio Bluetooth device and have a 128 gig flashdrive plugged into the external USB port for all the non streamed music ever. I tried to initially install a China made LCD Media center and it totally failed. My bluetooth is all I need for music from a device or phone and steering wheel controls work from the device plus remote phone. I have done all the work myself but have spent around 2k in repairs and restoration and the car in now show ready. I knicknamed it The Silver Bullitt (Apopka, FL) I bought a dedicated BMW code reader and presently I'm clear of any code. I wanted to write my story because when you buy a E-46 you need to most likely change out at least everything I have done if not more. Because of the unused condition of my car, the interior and exterior is mint. So the question is "Is it worth it? Or when is my check engine light going to go on again? Appreciate any thoughts... I'm not a pro mechanic but have always worked on my own cars myself. The last guy that changed my oil broke off the pan bolt which was a nightmare. So I just do it myself. So I'm into this baby for 7k now about what I could sell it for. I'll try to post a pic. BMW-CA Member John V.

Attached Files: