Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bucks and Dies...1888 Code

Discussion in 'E32 (1988-1994)' started by chazzone, Mar 8, 2008.

chazzone guest

'89 735i, hard cold start, but runs flawlessly most of the time. Will occassionally buck and eventually die. The "mileage guage" will go to zero while this is happening. After she sets will usually restart and run fine. Although the last time, she went into "limp mode" and I had to disconnect the battery for her to run right again.

I get an 1888 code (yeah I know that code doesn't exist, but I find it mentioned on every BMW forum somewhere).

My mechanic checked the fuel pressure (fine). I installed a new fuel filter. Checked for vacuum leaks, and vacuum is good normally (although the "mileage guage" would suggest there is an issue there)

When we get some decent weather, I guess I'll start with the tank and work my way forward, but if anyone has had a similar issue, I'd love to see how you solved it.

Thanks,

-zz

DRL219 guest

'94 740iL Hey this has happen to me once and i thought it just need some more gas b/c i was near empty. Ever since it hasn't happen again. if you find anything else out let me know maybe i'll be able to fix a problem before it becomes a bigger problem

thanks
    -DL

chazzone guest

Re: Bucks and Dies

Thanks for your reply, I have pretty much eliminated the issue by swapping in a second hand computer, and watching the gas I buy.

-zz

darrinm1

I have a '90 735iL that has this same issue when it is cold. I am convinced it is a vacuum leak that I am unable to track down. I have replaced (I think) all the hoses and still a cold morning will cause it to learch, buck and want to die.

darrin

chazzone guest

vacuum leak

Darrin,

Why are you convinced that you have a vacuum leak?

You can easily verify this with a vacuum guage.

By the way, are you using premium fuel?

-zz