Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Brotherhood of BMW

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Joey Syracuse, Jun 4, 2009.

Joey Syracuse

Hello All,

I'm not actually a brand new member but have been in just about a year. I felt I had to relate this minor story but didn't see another forum category this might fit into. So here goes...

I was commuting home tonight and came across a backup on my local interstate - construction season here in the northeast. Anyhow, I'm in my "99 M Coupe, tired from the day and a little impatient. I came across three lanes merging into two lanes of thru traffic and I pick the lane which I think will have the best likelihood of continued motion. Naturally it's not. I'm not the lane jumper I used to be so I tried to be patient thinking I will move at some point. I could see continual traffic merging in my lane which was really going to stop progress, wear out my patience and possibly my clutch as well. So after a while I decide to change lanes.It is my experience in these situations that putting on ones blinker only enrages others to the point of them blocking any attempted lane change. So I discreetly watch my side view mirror for an opening. I know others watch others watching their side view mirrors as well -I'm sure a whole book could be written on traffic jam techniques and strategies. but I digress...http://stage.bmwcca.org/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

So while watching for an opening there suddenly becomes a big gap and I think - should I take advantage of this - then I see what's holding up the other lane - its none other than a large white X5 with it's lights on. So I scooted out and gave the driver a thank you wave. But, were not done yet. After another two miles of stop and go I decide I should just exit but now I've got to go across the lane I just came from. As one knows in these situations the car to the rear has the better opportunity to capitalize on an upcoming opening as it will pass them first. Wouldn't you know it the aforementioned X5 took the next opening but instead of zooming by on my right again stopped traffic in that lane to let me through twice I was saved by the driver of the X5 tonight and I wish to thank them. I'll pay it forward from here. Thank you fellow bimmer drivers!!http://stage.bmwcca.org/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

az3579

Experiences like this are so awesome. It's too bad that your average BMW driver 'round here is too much of a snob to care. I just wish experiences like yours would be more common (not the traffic part).

Joey Syracuse

Az,

I agree. At the Octoberfest In tiny Watkins Glen you could see everyone who was a club member and we would wave when passing. I never get that at home. I used to get it in my Alfa though and even when I test drove an FJ once. I guess we'll just have to try and rekindle the spirit and hope we don't get flipped off too much.

Best of luck with your E30 they're getting hard to find around here in any kind of decent condition. http://stage.bmwcca.org/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Joe

damien_ro guest

thats great dude

I come from the largest army base in America. morning traffic is unbearable, often taking up to 45min just to get 4 miles. Unfortunately we have a lot of inexperienced young soldiers driving out there with the rest of us and I generally try to help them out as that X5 helped you. Keep up the faith.
    damien