Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Brake pad light still lit after brake job

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by mrl325i, Apr 23, 2009.

mrl325i

I just replaced the pads and rotors on the front brakes, as well as the wear sensor wire, on my e30. The pad light is still illuminated. Does it go out after a while, or is something amiss? Thanks.

zoff

I'm on my third E30 and I've never had a brake lining light actually work. That being said, I know on newer BMWs you sometimes have to let the key in the "on" position before it goes out. However, if you're lining light actually illuminated due to the sensor touching the rotor I would give it some time to "correct itself" before trying to diagnose it.

granthr

I think on the E30s it is instant, so it should have gone out. Check your wiring and make sure everything is put back together properly. It is possible that you got a bad sensor.

stevehecht

My light came on and off for a while, then flickered mostly on, now is staying on all the time. I've had my brakes checked regularly and they're fine. An electrical glitch was detected at the front driver's side wheel which I haven't bothered to fix.

Bark guest

Did you replace the sensors? They're a one time use item, unless you replace the pads before the sensor has been worn down enough to trigger the light.

mrl325i

It was a bad sensor.

Tahoe guest

Glad you found it. My light was on all the time so I replaced the sensors. A mechanic at Valley Motorwerks said that many E30s just have the light on no matter what. He said to just pull the bulb which I did.

nico guest

Some people remove the sensors and wiring altogether.

At the moment I am ashamed to admit that my bulb is pulled so I don;t see the thing shining at me all the time. The previous owner of my car had a cut cable for the rear sensor and I had a really hard time finding the proper part to splice in. These cars are not frequented in junkyards on Long Island either. Once the wather warms up I'll be under it again to resolve. :)

PS: Glad it was an easy fix.