Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Brake circuit warning

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by cubpilot, Jun 2, 2008.

cubpilot guest

My 1998 328ic periodically warns about a "Brake Circuit" issue and to see the owner's manual. I don't have a manual yet. Can anyone tell me what the manual says?

Thanks!

Jeron guest

Its not in the manual. You need to replace your brake switch which is located above the brake pedal.

cubpilot guest

Thanks!

Thanks Jason! I;ll check it out.

330indy1

common e36 issue BTW
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

To do this, remove the under dash panel and use a stick to wedge the brake pedal down as far as possible. Then you must pull the plunger out as far as you can (OK if you break the old one.) Then pull the red collar down. This lets you push in the tabs that lock the switch into the bracket (you will see what I mean when you have the new one in your hand.) Also, do not push in the plunger on the new one yet. Anyhow, now push the tabs in and pull the switch out of the bracket, pop the one one in and plug it in. When you release the brake pedal, it will push the plunger in just the right amount and push the collar in to prevent the switch coming out of the bracket. Don't pull up on the brake pedal or bend the bracket after you do this.