Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW X6 press release (April 2008)

Discussion in 'E71/E72 X6 (2008-present)' started by Bill Howard, Apr 7, 2008.

Bill Howard

(PR) THE FIRST-EVER BMW X6 SPORTS ACTIVITY COUPE
    Introducing the All-New BMW X6 xDrive35i and X6 xDrive50i

[(BMW's press release for the U.S. market--Ed.]

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - April 5th, 2008… BMW has once again introduced a ground-breaking idea to the world and the creation of a new segment with the debut of its all-new X6 Sports Activity Coupe. This all-new addition to BMW's very successful SAV line redefines the very notion of a coupe-with five doors and four sculpted seats, a higher ride and loads of cargo space. It defies coupe conventions in one jaw-dropping look, combining coupe agility and SAV versatility, taking the coupe to a higher level.

As the world's first Sports Activity Coupe, the BMW X6 will be available in two engine variants: the xDrive50i (4.4 V8 engine, 400 hp, 450lb.-ft torque) and the xDrive35i (3.0 inline six-cylinder engine, 300 hp, 300 lb.-ft torque), both with Twin Turbo and direct injection. The BMW X6 offers unique features and performance ability in a combination unmatched by any other vehicle. The new BMW X6's design combines the sporting elegance of a large BMW Coupe with the powerful presence of a BMW X model.

The BMW X6 employs BMW's proven intelligent xDrive all-wheel-drive technology with electronic control to vary the distribution of drive power between the front and rear axles, instantaneously adjusting to driving conditions. However, the X6 takes xDrive a step further with the introduction of Dynamic Performance Control.

Featured for the first time on the BMW X6, Dynamic Performance Control ensures variable distribution of drive forces between the two rear wheels. Dynamic Performance Control incorporates an advanced computer control and an innovative rear differential incorporating two planetary gearsets and two clutch packs that enable the system to multiply torque on an individual rear wheel. The result is that Dynamic Performance Control can help steer the vehicle by directing torque to either of the rear wheels. Unique the world over, this cutting-edge technology is effective whether the driver is accelerating or decelerating and significantly enhances steering precision and, as a result, the agility of the vehicle at any speed. In fast corners with abrupt steering maneuvers or with the driver suddenly releasing the gas pedal, Dynamic Performance Control serves to improve the stability of the entire vehicle, thus allowing the driver to safely enjoy new dimensions of driving dynamics. Finally, on slippery or uneven surfaces, Dynamic Performance Control provides the further advantage of even safer and more stable traction.

The new V8 engine with Twin Turbo technology and high presision direct injection, is likewise making its world debut in the BMW X6. Displacing 4.4 liters, this eight-cylinder with maximum engine output of 400 hp and peak torque of 450 lb-ft available over an unusually large range of engine speed from 1,750-4,500 rpm, is the most powerful engine ever seen in a BMW X model.

The new eight-cylinder is indeed truly impressive not only through its outstanding thrust and pulling force, but also through its compact dimensions. For this is the first eight-cylinder gasoline engine in the world to feature its turbocharger in the V-section between the two rows of cylinders.

Hence, the BMW Sports Activity Coupe is an absolutely exceptional vehicle beyond the direct range of BMW X model competitors, ensuring unparalleled performance in all situations, regardless of road and surface conditions.

Unique design: dynamic line, powerful presence.
    In its design, the BMW X6 definitely offers all the DNA of a genuine BMW X model, interpreted however, in a brand-new, extremely sporting style. Indeed, the design language of this new model is the authentic visualization of the outstanding driving characteristics offered by the BMW X6, mainly through intelligent BMW xDrive all-wheel-drive technology and Dynamic Performance Control.

Various design features typical of BMW also stand out in the vehicle's details, ranging from the BMW kidney grille to the dual round headlights optically "cut off" at the top and the powerful contour line along the side, all the way to the horizontal lines at the rear emphasizing the sheer width of the vehicle.

Front end with clear and dynamic orientation to the road.
    Just one look at the front end of BMW's new Sports Activity Coupe demonstrates the powerful presence of this unique vehicle. Due to the greater share of surfaces finished in body color, the front end looks lower and even more dynamic, clearly emphasizing the powerful orientation of the BMW X6 to the road. This DNA so typical of BMW is also demonstrated in the design of the hood and in the vertically positioned BMW kidney grille, with fins finished in a sophisticated titanium color on the xDrive50i and in black on the xDrive35i.

Large air intakes are positioned far to the outside for more than just meeting the cooling requirements of the powerful engines. Rather, interacting with the side panels extending far to the inside over the headlights, the air scoops provide clear orientation towards the wheels, emphasizing the powerful stance of the vehicle on the road.

The headlights themselves merge in a dynamic sweeping line into the side panels, the surface of the engine compartment lid is divided by striking lines tapering out towards the BMW kidney grille like the borderlines of the engine compartment lid at the sides.

Side view: dynamic roofline, muscular surfaces.
    The unique proportions of the new BMW X6 stand out particularly clearly from the side. For example, the short body overhang at the front emphasizes the dynamic look of the vehicle, while the roof line tapering out gently towards the rear and the long body overhang on the rear section, add to the stretched silhouette of a genuine coupe.

At the rear, the side window frame features the "counter-swing" at the bottom of the D-pillar, so well-known as the "Hofmeister kink" and chrome surrounds on the windows featured as standard distinguish the BMW X6 xDrive50i from the xDrive 35i.

The high waistline and powerfully contoured wheel arches both front and rear, moving the visual center of gravity to the middle of the vehicle and thus bearing testimony to all-wheel drive, are further significant features of the DNA of a BMW X model.

The side panel is split by two lines with striking contours, moving slowly towards one another at the front end of the vehicle to create a wedge-like impression symbolizing the forward-pushing, powerful character of the BMW X6. While the lines at the side highlight the supreme elegance of the vehicle, the special design of the surface gives the BMW X6 a particularly powerful look from this perspective. Striking interaction of the concave and convex surfaces emphasize the muscular look of the vehicle, providing the BMW X6 with an excellent balance of visual power and stylish presence.

Strong shoulders and a powerful stance from the rear.
    Likewise, the rear end of the BMW X6 offers a thrilling combination of elegance, sportiness and robustness in full harmony with one another. The muscular bumper and protection cover on the underfloor; the striking light edge along the lower section of the bumper, highlighting the ride height of the BMW X6; and the vehicle proportions that are so typical of a coupe, are all examples of classic design elements that stand out clearly and convincingly in the particular style and looks of a BMW X model.

The entire rear end is subdivided by horizontal lines giving the rear end a wider look and emphasizing the powerful stance and road-holding of the entire vehicle. The greenhouse with its strikingly low rear window, in turn, tapers out smoothly towards the rear, with the rear lid featuring a distinct air flow lip, further proof that this unique new vehicle is a genuine coupe in both its looks and style.

Even the special design of the rear light clusters takes the unique character of the BMW X6 into account, the L-shape so typical of a BMW X model being re-interpreted and now boasting a particularly dynamic sweep from one side to the other. Extending far into the side panels, the rear-light clusters bring out and accentuate the entire width of the vehicle also through its night design.

Sportiness and luxury within the interior.
    To the very last detail, the interior of the BMW X6 offers a unique synthesis of luxury, sporting dynamics, and powerful style. Tense surfaces blending into one another symbolize the active character of BMW's Sports Activity Coupe, sporting features such as kneepads on both sides of the center console, paddles on the sports steering wheel featured as standard, and the fine scale on the circular instruments creating an excitingly different driving experience in the new BMW X6 both on the road and off the beaten track.

Like all BMW X models, the new Sports Activity Coupe offers the occupants of all four seats an elevated, commanding seating position. In particular, this gives the driver a clear feeling of being perfectly in control of his BMW X6 in all situations. In conjunction with the cockpit simply begging the driver to drive his vehicle in an active style, this creates an innovative impression of genuine, all-out sportiness.

A further point distinguishing the world's first Sports Activity Coupe from the other BMW X Models is the sporting design of the individual rear seats separated from one another through the center console, the high-rising side supports, and the integrated headrests on all four seats.

301630 guest

X6 reaction

Bill,
    I'm still not able to understand why we have the X6 - and I'm not even going to address the current automotive retail landscape. I have seen it in motion as well as poked around in the vehicle at a local dealership. I'll just mention 3 things here:

1. I've been a fan of Bangle-Hooydunk design from Day 1.
    2. I cannot wait for the day when auto makers drop the oxymoron "4 door coupe"
    3. X6's profile, specifically the windows, reminds me too much of - gasp! - Toyota Prius:
    http://www.geocities.com/edju25/x6-prius2.JPG