Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

bmw wheel protection

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by blevinem, Jan 6, 2012.

blevinem

am purchasing 1m coupe and was wondering if bmw wheel protection is worthwhile, dealer is asking 2299 plus tax for 5 yr protection, seems on the high side, any ideas??

MGarrison

Depends on your risk tolerance (accounting for all factors that might result in a rim bent badly enough to need replacement) & willingness to gamble, vs. your willinginess to pay now.

5 yrs =
    1,825 days, or
    260 weeks, or
    60 months -

Let's say a sales tax of 7%, so $2299 x 1.07 = $2459.93

That would make the insurance about $1.35/day, or $9.46/week, or $40.99/month, or $491.99/year. I don't know the rim replacement cost, but you'll want to know that, for comparison's sake.

With that, you'll have to base your decision on your best guess as to the likelihood of needing a rim replacement. One thing for sure is the very low-profile tires make the both the tires more susceptible to irreparable damage, as well as the wheels.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Note that Goodyear run-flats (and Goodyear-owned brands like Dunlop, I believe) come with road-hazard warranties (other brands may, too), even when they are OEM tires. But BMW is not always aware of the warranties on the tires that come on their cars!

If it were me, I'd stick $2,200 in the rainy-day account and then pray for sunshine.