Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW iPod Adapter Quirks

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by ldamario, Mar 19, 2010.

ldamario

I just took delivery of a 2010 335i that has the iPod adapter (no iDrive). The adapter works fine. I can see the iPod on the radio display. However, I have discovered some quirks with this setup. First, when I select iPod from the Audio memo, the iPod immediately starts playing whatever track it was left on the last time iPod was selected. There doesn't appear to be any way to pause or stop the playback other than by either switching to another audio source or shutting the radio off. Second, It seems that only music content on the iPod can be played back. Podcasts cannot be directly accessed from the radio display. The workaround I use is to create a playlist containing the podcasts I want to listen to, but this is a nuisance. Lastly, when I look at the iPod under the center armrest cover, it is always on, even when the car's ignition is turned off. I assume this means the iPod is always being charged by the car whether the ignition is on or off. This is okay for car use, but continually maintaining full charge will not be good for battery life when the iPod is removed from the car.

jsunma

Bump!

Just thought I'd bump this post to see if anyone else had anything to add...

I have just purchased a 2008 E91 (non i-drive), have the factory iPod adapter, and have noticed the same quirky performance noted by the OP. Further, it's a total pita to play anything on the iPod other than tunes from the playlists. For example, if I try to use Pandora (my iPod is a 1st generation Touch and I have a Mifi unit in the car which the Touch uses to connect to the Internet) I have to constantly fight the car/radio as it tries to switch back to music from playlists. And when Pandora is playing, the radio headunit shows the track name of the last track played from the playlist (and the track that it will constantly try to get back to).

And as much as the darned thing wants to play songs from playlists, it refuses to just randomly play songs in "all music" shuffle mode (which is do-able directly from the iPod when it's not attached to the car). Everything HAS to be in a playlist. Shuffling only occurs within playlists. I've sort of solved this problem by creating an "all my music" playlist....and it seems to recognize that.

In short, iPod integration is anything short of convenient or smooth. I have studied the manuals (such as they are) and that's really no help at all. All in all, I have to say that the only thing that the $75 special cable allows me to do is to skip tracks via the steering wheel buttons. Aside from that, I'd be better off just using the Apple cable for charging and a $6 cable from Radio Shack to plug the iPod audio into Aux. Then at least I'd be able to control things from the iPod itself (when connected via BMW's cable, the iPod's own interface is disabled when the iPod is in music mode).

Any insights from those who've had better experiences?

jeinloes

No iPod displayed

Just purchased a 2007 328xi. No iDrive, but has the factory installed USB port. When connecting my iPod, the only selection choices displayed on the radio are "USB" and "AUX". Owners manual states that "iPod" should be displayed.

Clinesdale guest

As for "aux" instead of "iPod," you may not have a good connection. I've had to replace my connecting wires, but it was done under warranty.

I am not having any trouble getting to podcasts. I hit the list button on the stereo and scroll down to it with the select knob. I have something like 11,000 songs, so I find scrolling through a long list tedious. I would like it if the iPod were easier to get to to make manual adjustments. I would also like for it to be adjustable while connected.

It isn't the best scenario, but I greatly appreciate that I no longer have to use an FM transmitter.

ldamario

After you connect the iPod, try disconnecting and reconnecting both the USB and audio cables from the ports under the center armrest. That should cause the radio to recognize the iPod. I find that every time I reconnect the iPod, I have to do this.