Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW E90 Bavarian Technic Commands/Activations

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Yangorang, Nov 4, 2015.

Yangorang

So I just recently got the Bavarian Technic cable/software for my 2008 BMW 328xi and it is pretty handy for checking codes and stuff but I have no idea what half of the activations and commands do. Is there a good resource that explains all of this?

For example on my transmission I have the following commands available:
    Reset oil life counter - guessing you want to perform this after changing the trans fluid, didn't even know what this was tracked since I thought BMW said trans fluid was lifetime fill
    Reset all adaptation values - adaptations seem straightforward enough
    Teach in components - ???
    EWS reset function - ???

charlson89

The oil life reset are you sure it's not for the transfer case? I have attached a link to the user guide for the software. EWS reset is most likely for the DME and EWS rolling code alignment. Teach in components could be more many things what module is it under? If you have any other questions about this just ask.

Yangorang

transmission commands.JPG
    Yup they're all in the transmission module.

charlson89

Sorry for some reason the link didn't take. I know the transmission fluid in your vehicle has a service life of 100k miles but there is no service counter for this that I am aware of. The ews for the transmission also doesn't make sense to me either since its through the DME and CAS module mainly.

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/BMWManual.pdf

Yangorang

Sadly enough I contacted their support and they responded:

So it seems like they don't even know themselves which is odd. Seems kind of like a waste to make a software that doesn't describe in detail what each command/activation does.

Ken.S.330

I got a chuckle out of you comment about it being a waste to make software that doesn't describe what each command does. I am a code developer for a large corporation and we will spend hours trying to figure out what the code does because someone didn't take a minutes to document what it does. I have even seen comments where someone was in modifying code and put in a comment that they did not delete code because they couldn't figure out what it does and did not want to break something. They just leave the mess for the next guy.
    charlson89 likes this.

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

I was very disappointed by the BT tool when I bought it and especially annoyed when I found out that the claimed battery registration didn't work on my M3. I contacted them and they had the excuse that the M3 has a different ECU than the 3 series and that they had no plans of adding the functionality.

I've just gone out and bought the Carly tool and it's light years better than the BT tool - does all of that stuff and more. If only I had known about Carly I wouldn't have wasted my money on the BT tool.