Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW Assist/Bluetooth Failure

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by tlcoulter, Sep 23, 2015.

tlcoulter

I have a 2011 328i. A couple weeks ago I started getting an error message ( SOS and a phone receiver, with a slash drawn through them) indicating that BMW Assist was not working. At the same time my Bluetooth connection to the phone would not work. The problem is intermittent.

I took the car to my dealer, and they said the TCU (Telematics Control Unit) had failed, and that it would cost $1260 to install a new TCU. I opted to wait. I see used TCUs on ebay for less than $200. Is that a wise option? If I install a used one does anything on the car have to be reprogrammed.

I enjoy the security of BMW Assist, and I enjoy the Bluetooth phone connection, but everything has a price!
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

I know the bluetooth will work on the vehicle but have a different name when pairing a phone. If you want assist to work as well not sure have never tried to get one to work. I know the TCU is vin specific part so recoding to change the vin in the module may not work. IEME numbers will also need to be changed to get the assist to work since each TCU has a different number and has to match in order for assist to work.