Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW 135i clutch problems

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by fazhari, Sep 17, 2010.

fazhari guest

Hi

I have a question. My car is 2 years old, 28k miles, and i was told that my clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced. and since it's a manual transmission, it's going to be an out of pocket expense.

Has anyone else had problems with this? I don't drive my car hard at all.

floydarogers

There is a very recent thread in the E90 section of a guy with a 335i with similar mileage needing a replacement clutch - but he's blaming it on the original owner.

My son's 335i has over 50K on the original clutch. Haven't heard of others than the one mentioned.

bcweir

Not enough information to be certain if the warranty would cover this

If the clutch is failing due to faulty workmanship or an OEM part failing too early, I'd say you could certainly have both the faulty part, the clutch, and associated components replaced under warranty.

On the other hand, if BMW finds that the clutch is failing early either due to negligence, abuse, or any other cause not covered by warranty, you may find it more difficult (and more challenging) to muster sympathy or assistance from BMW.

Again, there's not enough information here to tell one way or the other.

Since the car is still technically under warranty, I'd say have the car checked out. Again, unless its something otherwise covered in the car's regular maintenance agreement, wear and tear items are typically not covered under warranty (neither are tires, brakes, etc).

Another option, if the clutch is not covered under warranty, you could ask for a goodwill repair, which is likely under the service manager's discretion to give.