Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bluetooth retrofit

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by NRomanoff, Sep 1, 2010.

NRomanoff guest

Anyone have any experience in retrofitting Bluetooth into a 328i convertible that is prewired for phone, etc but delivered without nav or bluetooth options. This is a new 2011 but should be same for most 328i convertibles in North Amer since 2007

E92Dreier

I do not have any familiarity with retrofitting this bluetooth system - But I am aware of changes to the various harness, and the pre-wiring, in all 3 series.

It seems that BMW has made some cost cutting. If you don't order Satellite Radio, you aren't pre-wired. If you don't order an alarm, it is not pre-wired. Even if you want a glovebox flashlight, it isn't there, and neither is your ashtray.

I would ask the dealer for a detailed estimate to do the retrofit. This will let you see where you stand...ie, do you need a new ULF/TCU adapter? Do you have wiring in the car presently, or do you need a new run? Speakers? Mics? Once you see what you're up against, you can source the parts independently (perhaps through Tischer BMW in Maryland, the best source for parts IMHO).

It is likely that whatever you do, your car will need to be reprogrammed at the dealer anyway after any modification.

This is an outdated DIY:
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122545&page=5

Good luck, and I hope someone with better knowledge/experience stops by to help you out.