Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bimmer Newbie

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by missmelyssa, Dec 17, 2008.

az3579

Yep. I told you that already!
    $400 bought me an E30 with no physical damage, brand new tires and alignment, an engine you could barely hear when running, an interior with cloth seats in which the ONLY flaw in was the driver's side seat left-side was ripped to shreds. Everything else was brilliant!
    The paint was in bad shape though; the hood was heavily screwed up due to some kind of botched buffing job and certain body panels had a different shade of Zinnoberrot than the others!

Why such a low price? Broken gear-linkage, which took all of 10 minutes to weld back. Owner thought it had a bad tranny. :D

I'm kind of like that, only I don't hold back because of the styling, but instead because 1) I can't afford it, but most importantly 2) because they're way too complicated and if something goes wrong, you'll have to remortgage the house in order to afford fixing it.

Aaaaaand unfortunately, I don't want to be in your shoes when the warranty/CPO runs out... :(

missmelyssa guest

Ah, don't scare/remind me. Your signature says you've got 300k miles on your car. How much would you say you have spent on maintenance during that time?

az3579

Umm... a lot. lol

I'm heavy into preventative maintenance, so about half of what I spent wasn't necessary at the time. But, it probably would have cost me double what I paid in the two years I owned it had there have been a serious problem.

Including all mods AND maintenance, I'd say I dumped well above 3.5 to 4k into the car in the 2 years I've had it.

Only about a third of those were necessary/crucial repairs... OK fine, about 1/2 if you count my recent suspension/brake job. Technically the car would have been fine for a while with the parts I had but the parts were pretty badly worn.

This car is a labor of love, and you'll probably find the same situation on your end!

missmelyssa guest

Yeah, I'm sure it will be the same for me. My first bimmer is quite special. Our garage is full, so I park it in the driveway. I refuse to park it on the street. Darn kids (I have a little one) put a football sized dent in my Accord which was parked on the street less than 2hrs!

Not really looking at mods so far. Well.....if you count tint, then ok. Yup getting it tinted on Monday.
    Eventually looking into a K&N air filter, unless anyone recommends another brand.

So far, just trying to keep it looking nice.

Autohaus guest

Time for pics of your new toy :)

missmelyssa guest

I know....I've been so bad due to the holidays.
    BUT, I did Zaino my car on wednesday just as the fog was coming in.
    Looks nice and clean, and I did take some pics of course.
    I think my neighbors think I'm crazy always taking pics of my car.

Autohaus guest

The neigbors who live behind me think I'm a drug dealer with 3 bimmers on my driveway :(. It snowed again here the other day so all of my cars are trashed on the outside.

missmelyssa guest

3 bimmers? Nice. I'd like an e30 5spd for fun. But it's obviously not a necessity at the moment. I know I can find them cheap around here, but I really should focus on my current car and pay it off.....ugh, 5yrs, but hoping to pay it off in 3. But I do enjoy it.

Autohaus guest

Do you know what you have just done? Botond (AZ) will now plan a roadtrip out west to find some rust free E30 examples :D. If you do find a nice M50 or a S50/52 engine, let him know :)

missmelyssa guest

ok, I'll have to keep that in mind.

CRKrieger

Completely worthless. BMW's intake system works just fine for your car unless and until you decide to supercharge or turbocharge it or modify the engine far beyond what any sane person would do with an automatic trans behind it. Save that money for the E30 track car since you can't drive a cabrio in most 'CCA driver schools.

BTW, that 'puter' (sic - it's 'pewter') color in the '80s was Delfingrau (Dolphin Grey).

MGarrison

nobody knows how to tell melyssa how to link her forum membership/registration to her 'CCA membership? Anyone?
    • Staff

steven s

I think it's on the home page, in the drop down menu of the user profile box.

missmelyssa guest

Actually I don't see anything in the drop down box to link my membership to the forums. Someone else mentioned that I had to contact the webmaster or something. I sent an email because their office is closed and won't reopen until next week.

I've seen one or two other newbies with the same problem. So maybe we'll get our stuff taken care of next week.
    • Staff

steven s

Try this.
    http://stage.bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=verify_mem&stype=4
    If that page is not accessible, then call on Monday.

missmelyssa guest

• Staff

steven s

It might work after a period of time. But it's strange that you have the N/A under your username.

missmelyssa guest

Ok, I finally uploaded some pics in the member gallery. Nothing fancy. But I did get my windows tinted on Monday.

pcbeckwith

I got my membership cards in the mail yesterday and nothing about the avatar. Went into user profile where I can put a custom avatar and that doesn't seem to work. I hope somebody out there can help you.

lcjhnsn

Have a look at the "Feedback" forum. I seem to remember there were a few members who where having similar problems that were addressed in that forum.

This thread sounds kinda like your issue...

http://www.bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2987

oh never mind... I just noticed that Steven S already posted that link

Good Luck