Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Big Bimmer Folks

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by edarden, Oct 21, 2015.

edarden

hello folks,
    I'm Ed Darden from Washington, DC. I have owned four 7 Series cars, starting in 2004 with a certified 745 Li. I happened into the dealership after test driving several other brands and was unsatisfied. It was near closing and a light rain was falling but my salesman was friendly and offered a test drive. There was a straight away about a quarter mile and I noticed the pick-up in the engine. He said, take a right up here. I mistook a blind driveway for the turn and as soon as I curved into it there were pylons, leaving just enough for the length of the car. I instantly hit the brake and the car stopped instantly. Like Wil Smith from that alien movie after flying a space ship, I yelled, "I have got to have me one of these!"

Eventually, I totalled my 745 Li in a freak low-speed collision. It was fortuitous because it had begun to smoke badly from the tail pipe, which the dealer said would cost $15K to fix--the valve stem seals were leaking oil into the combustion chamber. That exceeded the car's market value.

I used the insurance check to buy my 2006 750 Li from a private owner. I got a light saying to replace the spark plugs. I did that at a club DIY but the cylinder firing was off. It is not as bad now, but it is still off. My question is as follows: Have any of you had a similar issue and what did you do about it? The mechanic that helped us during the DIY said that without a check engine light that finding the problem would be difficult. He predicted that a check engine light would eventually show up but I don't want to wait for that.Thanks for your feedback

charlson89

Welcome to the club and forums! As for the rough running with out the light will make it harder to find. But you could be having a issue with your coils. Hard to say though with out diag.