Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best way to ship wheels inexpensively?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 190796, Aug 2, 2012.

I have 4 wheels I'd like to ship within the US. Any tips on how to do that at a reasonable price? What shipper? How to pack? Thanks a million.

Scott

MGarrison

Wheels are somewhat bulky and heavy, so unless you can include an anti-gravity, mass-reducing machine in your wheel packaging, not likely you're going to escape the laws of physics there. As for packaging, depends on how much you want or need them protected. Crafting wooden crates out of plywood is not likely necessary, some heavy-duty cardboard boxes will probably do. If you can find a business like this: AM Shipping Supplies locally, they could set you up with something appropriate (you may or may not need something more than your local U-Haul has available).

I'd guess it's probably cheaper shipping rates if you pack all 4 individually, otherwise you might run into oversize/weight package charges. Check shippers' max h/w/d dimensions, and weight restrictions to make that determination. Obviously, 4 wheels all in one package would be heavy and unwieldy, I wouldn't put more than two to a box if you opt for that. Not sure of every packaging option for protection, but styrofoam peanuts are an option. There's also that expanding foam stuff, I suppose you have to wrap up the wheel in a bag and do it in layers, the first layer filling a lightweight plastic bag with the foam and fitting it into the bottom of the box before it hardens/cures, placing in the wheel, filling the gaps around the wheel to the outside perimeter of the box, (more foam in bags), pulling it all out again, and repeating the bottom-section process to more easily create a form-fitted top-protection piece that will fit the shipping box. Gazillion wads of newspaper or heavier-weight packing paper?

Shippers that come to mind - USPS, UPS, Fedex, DHL. Once you have a package together, you can compared prices based on weight, dimensions, and destination. If you need to insure the shipment, add that pricing into your considerations.

If you don't want to do it yourself, there are always those shipping places that will package them for you - obviously, for extra cost.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Actually, Tire Rack has shipped mounted wheels and tire to me several times and does this every day. They seem to use UPS ground so, there is a "rate" for that with big brown. The catch is, the are ready to mount with tires.

They strap a couple corrugated cardboard disks to both sides of the wheel/tire and that's all the packing there is. Wheel arrive perfect. I have save the cardboard shipping disks for use in protecting my wheels when I stack my wheels in the garage.

So are there tires on the wheels?

Could you find some clean air-tight carcasses down at the local Goodyear store, throw them on the rims, air them up, give them a wipe down for $5 or $10 each, and then let big brown do their thing? Hmmmm....