Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best oil - 1998 BMW M3

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by dave335, May 8, 2010.

dave335

I have a very low mileage E36 M3 with just over 40,000 miles on it. Currently, I am using 0W40 Mobil 1 synthetic oil. The car is stored over the winter and will not be driven excessively. Temperatures vary considerably up here in Northern Canada. Average temp would be + 80 f in the summer. I have been happy with the Mobil 1 but I have read that some individuals experience valve train noise over time. I have considered switching to Lubromoly Voll-Synthese 5W40. Any opinions on the best oil to use in a low mileage E36 M3? The car sees no track use and is not driven aggressively.

Thanks in advance. Any input is greatly appreciated.

David

ForcedInduction guest

I doubt anyone can give you accurate, scientific evidence to support one BMW approved oil is better than another unless the info. came directly from BMW's test labs.

Oil is a religion for many people... You will hear from them what THEIR favorite brand is and sometimes why they believe THEIR favorite oil is better, without any technical support for THEIR conclusions, other than ad hype or anecdotal evidence.

I don't make oil recommendations other than to use the proper viscosity and BMW oil spec required for your car. Since BMW actually test oils and only certifies the oils that meet the lubrication requirements for your engine, they have far more expertise on the subject than anyone including owners, service advisors, or oil companies.

Mobil 0W-40 is the only BMW LL-01 approved Mobil oil sold in North America. It is in fact a Euro formulation and much different than the other U.S. Mobil oil formulations. The Mobil 1 0W-40 meets all BMW requirements for viscosity and formulation so I doubt it causes more valve train wear or noise. That being said any BMW approved oil of the proper viscosity and oil spec should serve you well including Lubromoly products. Make sure that you use the correct viscosity and BMW oil spec and your engine should be just fine.

BTW, your car was meant to be driven so drive it and enjoy it. Track events are good exercise for a BMW since we don't have the wonderful roads of Germany to drive on. :)