Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best BMW for an 18 year old?

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by jhietter, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Brian A

I have to pay money!?! Oh man... I didn't know about that part. Botond can have my shotgun seat. He's got the 12 gauge anyway.

Autohaus guest

I don't have enough cash flow to fly all of us over and back :(. What did you think you would get by with milk and cookies? :p Speaking of which, I'll be having that after supper. BTW everyone, I'll be doing a WDW run 2nd week of FEB. Anyone wanna do a rally drive to WDW? If you guys are wondering what WDW means, its Walt Disney World in Orlando. :cool:

Autohaus guest

I feel like emailing the OP to find out what he is driving....lol

Arash2002tii guest

Maybe he went non-Bimmer and is too embarrassed to show his face?

Or the reality of what everyone was saying struck him and he got depressed.

Or he got so sick of all the notifications in his email from this thread that he cancelled his CCA username and left the club forever.

I think it's best t start with a lower car wit no driver's aids as to not get too cocky. If I was his parents I'd get him a E30 318is and have him autocross the hell out of it.

Autohaus guest

LOL LOL LOL I hope not. We shall continue this thread until the end of time. By next year, we will have about over 300 pages talking about everything :D

Arash2002tii guest

The admins should change this thread to its own section called All-In-One.

granthr

By ducking taping us to every horizontal body panel and maybe a couple vertical ones too! :D I don't think we will post very good times on the Nurburgring with this much weight on the poor little 1er! Even with 300bhp! :D

If you do get a 1er even if it is a 128, get the sport pack!

Rent a 123d! It will put a lot of cars to shame! Plus get 40mpg!

GR

az3579

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude...

That is a seriously long rally drive... :eek:

In all honesty, I don't know what's more worth it; saving up money to go to Germany, rent a good car, and have a 1-week vacation with the crew, or to save up for an S50 swap for the car I live with every day. They would cost the same, I assure you that. :p

AH!!! AN ANSWER TO THE OP'S QUESTION!!!!

Get an E30 318i, make your parents happy, and do an S50 swap with the leftover money. They won't know a thing! :D

Autohaus guest

My wife claims that she holds the high chair, however, I do have a spine! I told her no vert and it needs to be a 6-speed manual trans, not a 6-speed steptronic :rolleyes: so she needs to practice on the E39. Options will be sport package and I'll give her the navigation option as well. She is spoiled with her nav in her xi. However, if I don't please her, then its hell for me :(. Seriously, I am lucky to have her as a wife! She lets me keep my toys :cool:. Anyway, back to the point.....
    123d would be nice. Most cars available to rent in Europe are stick (I hope). The 128i seems to fly under the radar. 230hp isn't that bad. Think a 128i with sport package is a bit quicker than a stock E36 M3?

Autohaus guest

Eh, I don't how to multi-quote! I will answer in order:
    Yes, it would be a long rally drive, but for people who would want to do a rally drive AND go to all four theme parks.
    As for the money part for Germany, start saving now! Each paycheck, just take out $50 for now, then increase as you may. You have about 21-22 months until we go to Germany. I say you should just keep the E30 how it is. Do get it lowered and get a front air dam/spoiler/etc... Remember, I am buying it off you sometime in the future for Peyton. Then maybe take out a auto loan for a nice E36/E46. Let me give you an example. Back in 1999 I took out a $11K loan on my 92 535iA. My payments were $187 per month! Yeah it was 6 years, but I paid it off a little over 4.5 years as I made double payments at times. A car payment under $200 a month rocks!
    I doubt the OP would do that. He may think the E30 is too old and not cool looking. To each his/her own, right? I would take a E30 anyday over a brand new "whatever" (non BMW, non exotic car).

az3579

I've almost made up my mind. Unless I can get a pristine E36 M3, I'm gonna stick with buying another E30 when the time comes. Of course if you want the car, you're gonna have to store it because I don't have any room...

... and neither do you. :p

I dunno 'bout Germany. I've kind of had this plan for a while that I want my first trip to Germany be an ED trip, where I'd drive the hell out of the car 'till it's broken in and take a full swing day at the Nurb. I don't really want to ruin that "dream"...

Who knows, maybe I won't get any speeding tickets in the next 20-21 months and maybe my insurance will come down just a bit, enough for me to be able to afford car payments and insurance. :)

Nah. Probably won't happen. Besides, that would easily eat up over half my salary.
    Or maybe I could do a custom ED experience and buy a pristine Euro E30 and then ship it back here when the vacation's done with? :D
    Muuuuuuuch cheaper than buying a new car...

Autohaus guest

Speeding tickets....what is that :confused: Buying a Euro E30 and having it shipped here would cost at least $5-10K. It has to get "federalized" or something like that. If $50 per paycheck is eating up 1/2 your salary, then that means you are only making $100 per check :eek:

granthr

Chris you are a lucky guy! Not many wives let their husbands hold onto "extra" (in their minds) BMWs. My wife lets me have "extra" BMWs knowing full well there will probably be more in the future! :D She says I could be into worse things, so she is fine with it. :)

The one really nice thing about have more cars than drivers in the family is that you always have something to drive. For example in one is the shop or if you are doing a project yourself you do not have time constraints on you. This is really nice when you work on your own cars, you can take the time to do it right.

Chris I don't know how to do multi quotes either! AZ how do you do multi quotes?

GR

Autohaus guest

Having multiple BMW's is great. However, the E28 needs $1500 of work to make it top gun. I did see an ad for a S50 with 80K miles for sale for around $2900. Imagine if I could drop that in my E28 :D. I would then need a manual trans and the computer. Lots of $$$$$$$$$$$. The smart route to take would be to get the house FIRST and then get the 1er.

granthr

Yea at this point, I would agree with the house first. The 1 series is great, but it would be nice to have a place to park it with your other three! :D

Maintaining three bimmers can get expensive. Sounds like you do have access to a good garage though. Does he cut you a break b/c you work there? That is why I started working on my own cars. I save a lot of money!

Maybe AZ would want the S50!:D

GR

MGarrison

The forums use bbcode (apparently also called vBcode, here), to allow html-style formatting using a simpler syntax -

http://www.bmwcca.org/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Each message post has a number -

I hit the quote button for one of the messages I want quoted in a reply. The text-box area of the reply screen will show (for instance):

[noparse]
    [/noparse]

Then, if you scroll down the page and hold your mouse cursor over another post you want quoted, in a half-second or so a box popups that says what that post number is.

I then use the same format [noparse]

Arash2002tii guest

On the subject of engine swaps my friend just bought a 1.8 motor that he is going to rebuild and put in his 1.6 Miata. He also bought the bigger brakes that the 1.8 car has to put on his. You can never have too many BMW's, 2 of them is (insert how many cars BMW has ever made minus 2) too little!

az3579

Drat, MGarrison beat me to it. :)

I always just press the little button next to Quote, with the + and quotation marks on it, on every post I want to multi-quote and then break up the quote by deleting irrelevant sections.

Anyway, Chris:
    No, I said if I was to buy a new BMW, then the payments and insurance would eat up half my salary. I didn't mean saving up for the trip... :rolleyes:

And 5-10k for a pristine German E30 is still a helluva lot cheaper than buying a new one, and probably much more satisfying. :D

granthr

MGarrison, thanks for the info on multi quotes. I think am doing it right now!!! :D AZ I knew you would help, you just have to be quicker on the draw!

Arash, I agree you can never have too many BMWs, if fact it might be against club policy to even think that a certain number would be too many! :D

GR

Autohaus guest

I get a good break. W/O him, man I would be in the toilet..lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.