Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best BMW for an 18 year old?

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by jhietter, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Ehh, wifey sorta put the kibosh on that project for now. If the guy still has the roller by the time I get around to it, it will get either an 1100 or 1200 engine (not the 1200C, though). I have actually found several rollers, but two of the owners are notorious BMW hoarders, and famous in BMW circles (so I won't say whom.) I am hoping that the economy coming back down will depress the non-running antique car market somewhat and I can pick one up at a fair price. If not, I will build myself a 3 wheeled car similar to an old Morgan using BMW or Goldwing power.

granthr

I can understand holding off on a project! :) I guess we can be glad they just let us have as many BMWs as we do! :D

Sounds like a great project and I am sure it will be a great car to drive. I can remember reading in Roundel a few years ago about a 700 with a more modern BMW motorcycle engine. I can't remember the details though. Hope you can find the right roller at the right price!

GR

Autohaus guest

To keep us out of the doghouse, we give the wifey's the high seat :rolleyes:. Moosehead, does your wife drive a BMW?

Autohaus guest

To keep us out of the doghouse, we give the wifey's the high seat :rolleyes:. Moosehead, does your wife drive a BMW?

mooseheadm5

She drives the 325ti that I built for her when she is not on her scooter. Right now I am swapping my 323i stuff over to a lowly 325i car because the body is in better shape and the bottom end has fewer miles.

Autohaus guest

Thats great that our wives drive BMW's. That was the deal breaker when we first got together :). She was driving a 2001 Corolla. I told her back when we met in 2004 that I was going to put her behind the wheel of a bimmer :D

mooseheadm5

My wife was 24 with no driver's license when we met. First I put her in an Alfa, which neither of us really bonded with, then a 1972 3.0CS, which I later converted to a 3.5CSi with late Motronic. Then the 325e, then the 325ti. She believes every other car to be inferior to the E30, E36ti, and E28.

granthr

When I met my wife she was driving a late 80s Cadillac Sedan De Ville, which the PO put a larger motor in. The steering wheel was as thin as a pencil and the tires could not handle the power, not to mention all that power going to the front! She then bought an Acura after college, finally this summer we got rid of the Acura. It was paid for and just didn't make sense to get rid of it prematurely. Now she is driving the 328is with Dinan Stage II suspension, intake, throttle body, and ecu flash. She loves it! From here on it is all BMW! :D

GR

Autohaus guest

Thats great guys. Now we gotta find Botond a female who has a passion for BMW's :p

az3579

Nooooo, because then that money saved up for the S50 swap will go to buying another BMW for my lady friend!

I'm just a little selfish in that department... lol

I'm single and I'm proud! :p

Of course when the time comes for marriage, one thing will be made clear; there will be no minivans in our lives and we will never sell a loved car to get something more "practical", and I say that in quotations because you can fit children into a sedan just fine, thank-you-very-much!! *ahem*peoplewhobuyminivansjustbecausetheyhaveafirstchild*ahem*

Autohaus guest

Botond + S50 E30 < Botond + M20 E30 + girlfriend :)

No minivan is the key. My wife never wanted a mimivan (Thank GOD). I'm also with you in the "practical" department. Now if your future wife makes you get rid of your S50 E30 for a E92 335i, then what would you do?!

Autohaus guest

Wow, 30 pages of this topic! We seem to be straying away from the OP's question. I have said it 20 times and I'll say it again: OP, please take the 99 E39 540i/6. 282-290 hp is plenty enough for you to handle. You get to have room in the back for your college buddy's as long as they don't vomit in it! Also, you'll be big cheese on campus :D

granthr

Not only are there 30 pages, a whole lot of reads, (approaching 5,000), we are almost at 300 posts. I think this is record on all accounts.

I will never do the Minivan thing either and fortunately the wife doesn't ever want one either! When the time comes I will probably get a four door or maybe a 5er. I really like the E39s. Although I would be temped with a pristine 60s VW bus door mobile (the one with all the windows) with a Porsche motor! :D

GR

Autohaus guest

Throw a 1997 Twin Turbo S motor in it :D

az3579

I would cry.

I'm torn between whether or not I would really be able to live with a "new" car and all of its electrical problems or if I would rather have a simple beast of a car. Ah, choices, choices...
    I swear to you, I have considered buying a new car (very basic one, but a new one nonetheless), maybe along the lines of a 128. But, then I realized, half of my current salary would go towards the car payments and insurance alone, not including gas. Despite the fact that I only have to support myself, that's not that bad, but I'm a cheap son-of-a-gun and don't know if I could live with the expense of repairing electrical problems. I'm really anal about repairing small stupid little things, so I'd drive myself nuts after a few years of ownership.

Of course if it's an E90 M3, then I'd gladly live with the electrical problems...

Arash2002tii guest

Remember this simple law older = better, especially if you plan to work on it yourself is will save you a lot of headache. Plus they are that much closer to becoming classics :D

MGarrison

which brings up the topic of the relative merits and comparisons of relationships with significant others vs one's relationship w/ cars and bmw's ---

actually, that's not all that off topic, relatively - consider the sub-heading of this forum: Discuss the best (and worst) deals relating to BMW ownership.

If you got a spouse, gf, s.o., or whatever that ain't down w/ your ownership, involvement, or infatuation of bimmers, it could very well be a bad deal!

However, regardless of how sex-like the experience of driving your BMW might be for ya, cars still fall short of human relationships in a few regards - for one thing, you can't have sex with your car - (at least, you shouldn't.... and if you do, I don't want to hear about it! :p )

Not unlike gf's however, cars (for me at least) seem to be a near perpetual money-pit. Sometimes the, uh, ride, is worth the money, although in my experience that has typically been moreso the case with the car than the gf. :cool:

I imagine if we tried hard enough we could come up w/ 30 reasons why E30's are better than a gf, and also 30 reasons why gf's are better than E30's. :D

Dunno how much of a different category wives might fall into vs gf's, but the same lists could probably be concocted for wives as well...

az3579

LMAO. I couldn't stop laughing after reading your post. :D

And just for reference, I wasn't all that serious 'bout the S50 and g/f comparison... lol

Which brings me to an idea... is it possible to mount an S50 in her brain? Hmm...

mooseheadm5

I dunno, my wife is pretty awesome. As mentioned in a different post, she bought me a wheel and pedals to play GT3. Find an SO that likes your taste in cars. But first, buy a ti with a bad motor and drop in an S52. E36/5 + S52 > 128i. Then add a supercharger or turbo. E36/5 + S52FI > E46 M3

Autohaus guest

:confused::eek: LOL. Great post!

Believe me, you don't want to do that. With that much power and speed she will have you in shackles. Then you'll wonder what you did and then "It's too late to turn back now, I believe I believe I believe I'm fallen in love".......

The 128i is going to be the forgotten child. 135i's will be the popular gifted child while the 128i will fly under the radar. Soon, kits will be offered to match the 135i in power.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.