Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

best aftermarket remote starter?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by mdheller, Oct 29, 2008.

mdheller guest

This is a general question: what is the best aftermarket remote starter for BMW or any other car.

What problems might I run into if I install this? I know I had one in an older infinity that was an aftermarket system and it never really worked as it should have. I am curious if this was just a crappy brand or if others have had similar issues with them.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Don't. Just don't. You cannot do it easily because of EWS, unless you have an EWS delete reflash. Not even sure if that is even available. Remote starts and aftermarket alarms are usually installed by HACKS! I have removed many many, and that is on pre-CAN cars. To get it to work on a CAN car, you would have to have it programmed in, or completely hack into every system to make it work. Just say no! Spend your money on something useful, like good tires. Go out and freaking turn the key when you want to start your car.

mdheller guest

The question was actually posted because my boss wants to put one in his car and I advised him not to but didn't really have any reasons to give him. Just wanted to throw that up there for the record.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Tell him that a mechanic you spoke to told you horror stories of butchered wiring harnesses and hundereds of dollars spent by customers to have the remote starters/aftermarket alarm systems removed when they caused the cars to not start, drained the batteries, started the cars by themselves, and caused unexplained shorts in various circuits that the installer had tied into.