Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BavAuto's R12 to R134a retro fit kit and experiences?

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by thr33dviz, May 18, 2010.

thr33dviz guest

Well my poor baby is filled with R12 and no AC shop will even touch her/ So i was thinking of useing this particular kit.Anyone out there ever use it or has gone through this with their E34. Summer is almost here and not blowing that cold right now.I will fry this summer here in Florida.

any suggestions? besides a total rebuild.Funds are not what they once where at the moment.

Thanks..I used the search foudn something on E30's..( not lazy I use search ;).)

Cheers and thanks

Tony

bcweir

Just call around. Some shops still handle R12, with one exception.

I hope you or no one else has put any R12 substitutes into your car's system.

If it's just R12 (the real stuff), any shop that still handles that type of refrigerant should still be able to handle it. What most shops do is they test to see what type of refrigerant you have in your system. Most systems can either detect R12 or R134a. If they detect substances other than R12 or R134a in your system, you might as well have the word "LEPER" written on your forehead, because then nobody wants to touch you.

The catch 22 is this: if they try to evacuate your system using their equipment, they risk contaminating their equipment and their fittings with whatever is running in your system. Additionally, it is illegal to release refrigerant into the atmosphere. It can cost them their license if they're caught doing it, as well as sustaining fines and penalties. We're mainly talking federal penalties. There may be additional state and local penalties also.

But if you're absolutely sure you only have R12 and nothing else, I don't see the problem. Any shop equipped to handle R12 should be able to handle you.

If you want to convert to R134a, here's the conversion page. It's going to reference E32's (7-series 1988-1994), however, the E34 is similar.

Before you embark on this, jot down the part number of your compressor and compare it against the short list referenced at the top of the page. If your AC compressor part number matches any on the list, you're going to have buy a new compressor to go to R134a. If it doesn't, you're good -- that means the compressor is compatible to be retrofitted for the newer R134a system.

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/aircon_R134a/aircon_R134a.html

thr33dviz guest

Looked at several conversion pages last night. I do side jobs for a friend of mine who owns an HVAC company and has the 134a. I will jack up the car and dig around for the compressor's number to check the list to see if its compatible. As far as I know no substitutes have been used.To be honest I don't want to have the R12 in my system anymore.In the state of Florida you cant even get it,import it or find a shop to deal with it.It's one of the states that outlawed it a few years ago. I have access to the tools to dispose of it properly.Read a lot of information last night on the horrors of using a substitute.I don't want that at all!. Taking a page from Jay Leno's stance on the environment.Would like to lesson my personal impact as much as I can afford to. I would like to get this changed over soon or my poor 7 year old son is going to fry in the backseat. thanks for the information again. I will look into some of the local shops that deal with classic cars the should have a dedicated R12 system to at least get rid of it.

bcweir

If it helps, I know a number of BMW owners who have successfully done this

Particularly on Bimmerboard.com. If necessary, I can round up their assistance to aid you.

Your AC system should be very similar to that of several E32 735 owners. I know quite a few of them that have successfully converted their R12 systems to R134a. Keep in mind that R134a is about 10 percent less efficient than R12 when it comes to cooling, due to the smaller R134a molecules.

If that's an acceptable sacrifice to you, I say more power to you.

thr33dviz guest

I can live with the 10% difference. Not too picky as long as it cold. Just ahv eto buy the parts ( the R134a is free for me) and install them with some help. Starting to look this might happen next weekend.This week is belts and a new washer pump.

thanks for the information again. I will have to get over to that forum adn register there also.
    Cheers

thr33dviz guest

Well just dug into her this evening.Turns out my compressor is not compatible.Oh joy!..going to be a not so nice summer this year in Florida for me.Time to find a nice used compressor. Not happy at all. off to search for an affordable part. Cheers.

bcweir

Wow sorry to hear that!

Good luck though. Hope your search for a compatible R134a compressor goes well for you. You should still be able to use that list to find a compatible compressor.

thr33dviz guest

Thank you BCWEIR!..Already getting too hot to handle. So far no luck locally.Going to check around the Tampa area to see what is out there.Using that list to make sure. My Son will not ride with me until the AC is fixed! HAHA!. Little guy doesn't like to sweat in the car.

Thank you again Sorry for the late reply.Busy building new door panels.:). Cheers!