Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Battery Discharging

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by sbfreeman, Apr 12, 2018.

sbfreeman

Hi:
    Any suggestions on the approach to finding a parasitic leak? I get a message that the battery has abnormal discharging after sitting for a couple of days and the clock has to be reset.
    Thanks,
    scott

charlson89

Scott have you tested the battery to make sure it is holding the charge properly? Otherwise start with locking the car and make sure the start stop button back lighting goes out after a bit. Same for the shifter light. If those are staying on then the vehicle is being kept awake by something. From there you will have to do the draw test. You will need a good amp meter (best and easiest to have a amp clamp) that can do over 15 amps (system will have spikes that can cause fuses in the meter to blow. Then you will need to put the amp clamp on the negative wire of the battery and wait for the vehicle to go to full sleep. Thats should take about 20-30 mins and the draw should be around 45 milli amps or less. Hope this helps.

sbfreeman

Thank you for the reply. I have noticed that not making the vehicle sleep by locking makes the problem occur more frequently. The battery is new. Could it normal for the battery discharging message to generate if the vehicle is not locked and not driven for 2 days?

charlson89

Locking or not the vehicle should still go to sleep. If it is staying awake then you have a problem some where keeping the vehicle awake. I would say it is not normal for the discharge light to come on in 2 days no matter what.

sbfreeman

When removing the battery, is it necessary to keep power applied to the vehicle so that the OBD system doesn't forget it's settings?

charlson89

No you just need to reset the clock.