Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Auto to Manual Trans?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by jlwsbw, Jan 26, 2009.

jlwsbw

Is it possible without going broke to convert a late model 3 from an auto to a manual?

granthr

I will take a stab at this since no one else has. I am guessing it will be very difficult due to all the electronics in this car. It is not like the old days where you really only needed to swap trans, add a pedal and maybe a few switchs and sensors. The whole car is now tied together electronically and the trans is a big part of that. I would suggest selling it and just buying the car you really want.

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

I would have to agree with granthr on this issue. Was involved in auto to 5 speed transplant into an E30. Not that difficult as most of the parts can be found in salvage yards. As mentioned, current models are just chock full of electronics. Finding the "used" pieces to complete this task will also be harder to find as well.
    Further agree, better, and much easier, to find yourself a manual model that started out that way.

az3579

+1. Don't bother converting, unless money is no object.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

It is very easy if all you have to do is sign the check, but it will have a few zeros after the first number (which may be an alarmingly high 5 or 6, or even higher!)

94is guest

Not worth it imo. I've done a few (including swapping my e36), and even on those older cars, wiring can be a pain in the butt.