Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Attention: BMW CCA not respecting opt-out settings

Discussion in 'Member Benefits and Questions' started by driver, Apr 17, 2023.

driver

Attention all members,

The BMW CCA National Office is wantonly not respecting members preferences for opting out of marketing communications. I received the latest email promoting Collector Chassis despite having opted-out of such communications a long time ago.

This is in violation of the Privacy Policy which states:

"In addition, where you have agreed, we may send you promotional offers on behalf of other businesses. If you do not want to receive email or other mail from us, please indicate your preference within the account notifications page at https://www.bmwcca.org/manage-account."

I've emailed the National Office and National Board and they are unwilling to reply and address the issue. For that reason, I feel it's important for you to know.

As they are willingly violating this aspect of their Privacy Policy, I have to question whether they are adhering to any aspect of it and whether our data are safe.

Please email and contact the National Office and Board to demand they address this situation. We are the members and they are here to represent and serve us.

Eddy Funahashi - President
    president@bmwcca.org

Frank Patek - Executive Director
    frank_patek@bmwcca.org

https://www.bmwcca.org/boardofdirectors
    https://www.bmwcca.org/staff

We deserve better.

Sincerely,

Jon
    • Staff

executive director

Jonathan,

I am sorry that none of received your emails. Unfortunately, the service provider you are using is not one that our system recognized and your mail ended up in our SPAM folders. Once you reached out to Eddy directly he contacted me and your RVP and we immediately looked into the situation. As your RVP explained to you on Tuesday the Collector Chassis email was a general purpose notification from the club to all members - with email - advising of this new benefit of membership. The email came from the club. It did not originate outside of the BMW CCA offices in Greer, SC. Since then we have further tightened your profile so that you should receive even general notifications from the national office. You will still receive electronic notification of renewal.

We handle the privacy of our members in accordance with club policy and with the same level of care that we as members expect. That said, I hope you will agree that we walk a fine line between duty of care and duty of notice. Nevertheless, I hope this is resolved in the form and fashion that best addresses your concern. If not, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at your convenience.

Thank you
    Frank

driver

Frank,

On two separate occasions in June and July 2023 I received promotional mailings from Amica (the USPS has confirmed Amica was the sending party, not BMW CCA). As per my conversation with Simone in April 2023, I was removed from the mailing list and would no longer be receiving any promotional mailings.

Can you confirm I was removed from the mailing list?
    Can you confirm Amica is honoring that removal?
    Can you confirm BMW CCA is exclusively in possession of that mailing list?

I look forward to your replies. Thanks.

Jon
    • Staff

executive director

Jonathan,

As of April you were removed from all mailing lists. Unfortunately, the two mailers you recently received came late from a list that was produced in February. Amica is not in possession of CCA's mailing list. Their only access to our list is via a third party mail house under an NDA to the club. That list has been inactivated and your name scrubbed from it.

Thank you
    Frank