Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Are M20 and M42 engine strut bars the same??

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by AlpineRob, Jul 17, 2008.

AlpineRob

I posted for sale a Bavarian Autosport strut bar not too long ago on this board and a few others however i got so many questions about the size of it and dimensions of it because i listed it as a 6cyl strut bar..My question is am i wrong for saying that the m20 motors require a different kind of bar than the m42 set up? ( i'm beginning to think i have a bar from a 320i on my hands..hm) any thoughts?

- Robert

MGarrison

no difference as far as I know - someone here lately had a link to.... ummm..... ireland engineering (I think?) with info about evidence of there being a slight variation in shocktower width in E30 chassis and them making two different length crossmembers. But I haven't heard ever of there being a need for different strut bars for E30's based on engine variation.

bimmerfahrer guest

There are DEFINITELY differences in Strut bars for e30s w/ M20 and M42 motors. The M42 requires a higher clearance to go over the Intake Manifold.

I have a Racing Dynamics bar for my M42 (318iC) and my M20 ('87 325iS) has a tubular bar sourced from Bimmerworld.