Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Any warning signs to a clutch going?

Discussion in 'E36/8 Z3 M coupe (1998-2003)' started by Joey Syracuse, Apr 27, 2009.

Joey Syracuse

Hi all,

I've got a 99 M coupe and I'm beginning to have issues with the clutch and shifter. I've got 121,000 miles. the symptoms I'm having with the shifter are trouble getting into first and second when stopped and clutch disengaged. (see below)

The issue with the clutch is hard to explain but it has a stop point where I normally shift but if I push more at this point it seems to overcome some resistance and travel a little further. I really have to move the seat up though to get to the stop point then.

I know this sounds like I'm not fully depressing the pedal but there really is a stop point then a push through. I've driven over 200,000 miles on manual transmission cars and have never had the clutch go so I'm not familiar with the symptoms or warning signs. I appreciate any info or feed back:confused:. Thanks.

Joe

CRKrieger

Check your clutch hydraulics. It sounds like the clutch is not disengaging fully, which it would do if there is a leaky master or slave cylinder or if there is air in the system. The very first and easiest sign to look for is low fluid in your brake reservoir (Have you replaced pads lately or had other work on the brakes?).

When the clutch itself fails, there is no trouble shifting gears, but there is slippage where the engine revs higher while not accelerating the car commensurately. You do not have this.

Joey Syracuse

C.R. thank you. Now I'm following the sticky shifter thread..

Joe