Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

another new/old, old/new member

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Tahoe, Jan 22, 2010.

Tahoe guest

Hi all you terrific CCA members. I've been a CCA member since the days of BMW(no space)CCA with the Sacramento Chapter since 1984 and an affiliate of the Sierra Chapter for a few years. I started off with a '79 528i then bought a brand new '95 M3 followed by a 2000 540/6 and just added a 1989 325iX. Living in the High Sierra I have not availed myself of a lot of CCA activities due to distance but have attended a number of driver's schools, a couple of Octoberfests and quite a number of club gatherings at Laguna Seca races. I'm an avid BMW fan in large part due to the information and support of this club. Thanks all. See you at the races. I'll be in Monterey in May for the ALMS.

Zeichen311

Welcome! That's some beautiful (driving) country you live in. A few years ago on vacation, I encountered a BMW gathering out for a drive in either Sequoia NP or Yosemite NP. I waved, flashed a thumbs-up, generally tried to greet the group--until I remembered I was driving a Jeep Cherokee rental, not my 3er, and was basically invisible. :p

Tahoe guest

Thanks for the welcome. I hate it when that happens. The same thing has happened to me while driving my wife's rav4. It is great driving country when one is alone. All the fun gets taken out of it when I have to pull over for my wife to puke though.

tiFreak

welcome, I've been trying to find a 325ix myself for a little while, only ones I can find in good shape are automatics though :(

Tahoe guest

Thanks for the welcome. I know what you meant about iX automatics. I'm just amazed how many are slush boxes. Mine was too but the trans was dead when I bought it so I converted it to a 5 speed. I had never done anything like that but it really wasn't all that hard to do. If you try it just take your time.

az3579

Either that, or most of the iX's 'round here really only work in 2wd mode because nobody maintains theirs here, with the exception of club members of course. :(

Tahoe guest

The 5 spd has a different VC than the auto so the 5 spd came with a transfer case. I admit that I was a bit nervous about it working although I bought it from Bavarian Auto Recycling which happens to be only 80 - 90 miles away. It cost me but they guarantee their used parts. I still didn't know until I had it all together and gave it the "jack test".

granthr

My ix also started life as an auto. I converted it this past spring and have been loving it! I had BMW Wholesale do the conversion. They do them all the time and figured might as well let them do it. When the car was an auto it probably never really saw north of 4k on the tach. So it wasn't long till I spun a bearing! :( About 5,000 miles to be exact. Fortunately I found a new motor will relatively low miles on it. 78k.

Just put a BB exhaust on it and placed an order for H&R springs & rear sway bar with Bilstein Sports. No front sway available. I plan on having this car for a long time. With the B&B exhaust it sounds like it has a huge engine. Very cool at idle, but surprisingly quiet on the highway. It is a bit loud between idle and 2,500 rpm, but I like it.

Here is a picture with it's winter boots on.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the funhouse!

Another Sierra Chapterite! Way to go!

Don't worry, the Reno crowd is pretty active for a small chapter. And you're just up the hill from several other hotbeds of enthusiasm.

I expect the Sierra crowd to caravan to Monterey in August for the Historics---uh, make that the Rolex Motorsports Reunion! But we're more focused on the Rancho Canada concours put on by the Central Cal Chapter. See you there!

Tahoe guest

Thanks Satch. One day I'd like to meet you. I've only been following you since Autoweek was a newsprint rag. I'll be in Monterey in May for ALMS will you?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

ALMS in Monterey

Probably not-but I'm sure I'll be in Reno sometime in the Spring. We usually figure out some way to get Jeff Warner down from Incline Village to hang out. I'll e-mail the Sierra Chapter of my intentions when I have a plan, so they can alert the Nevada Highway Patrol.

Tahoe guest

I like that idea. You can run interference for me. The NHP have gotten REALLY sneaky. I'll tell you my Washoe Valley story when we meet.

Tahoe guest

Roundel Magazine: Now online!

That's all I need. One more distraction from getting any work done.