Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Air condition leak in 89 325iX

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by TeamStowell, Aug 21, 2009.

TeamStowell We love driving!

Our air conditioner on the 89 325ix blows cold, but also sends a strong stream of cold water into the left side of the passenger foot well.

Easy fix? Trip to the shop? Bentlys doesn't give us much information besides you can die trying to fix air conditioning issues and you should take it to a professional.

John in VA

The rubber drain "cone" is probably clogged, so rather than allowing water to flow out under the car, it backs up and gets the carpet wet. Happened in my E28.
    I was able to use a straightened metal coat hanger from under the car to get it flowing after a but of poking. Hope you don't need to remove the exhaust system and drive shaft to access it!

MGarrison

ya, evaporator tray drain probably blocked - I'd suggest pulling the lower console (#1 - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1293&mospid=47311&btnr=51_1109&hg=51&fg=35) and checking drain access from top side. Not sure about auto, but if it's a manual, you don't necessarily have to pull the shift knob - if you're carefull you can free the shifter-boot surround from the console; I'd say free up the console first, perhaps easier to push in the shifter-boot-surround retaining clips from the underside than prying from the topside blind (unless you've done it before and are familiar with it). The console piece is molded foam, ez to crack, so don't place too much side pressure on the parts that extend toward the firewall as you maneuver it. Free it up first by undoing what holds it in place, then it's easier to lift up a little to access the bottom side of the shifter boot.

A coat hanger might be a bit sharp and risk poking the drainage tube, particularly if the drainage tube is rubber, but ez and flexible for access from the bottom side, if you go that route.

If this is accurate for your car, looks like you'd want to check 9, and maybe 10 - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1293&mospid=47311&btnr=64_0525&hg=64&fg=55

Thank you thank you

Thanks for the info gents. I am sending my highly specialized "E24 sunroof drain unplugging coaxial cable" tool up from the bottom first to see what happens, then will start dismantling the beastie.

granthr

I have been having the same problem in my 91 325ix. Haven't had time to check it out yet. But will once I change the oil, which is soon.

Leak in passanger well

No luck going in through the bottom with the cable, so it looks like I do some work from the inside this week. Thank goodness the warm weather is leaving us soon.