Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Aerodynamic kit question

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by time2sleep, Jan 15, 2009.

time2sleep

Hello, I am new to the club and would like to say hello and ask a question:

I have a 2009 535i without PDC (it is post LCI, of course)

The part number from the BMWUSA site is: 51 71 0 433 920

The part number recommended by the body shop used by my dealership is: 51 71 0 429 408.

According to the RealOEM site, this part has ended, here is the link:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=51&fg=95

Now..I just received a call from the body shop that is used by my dealership. This guy seems pretty decent, but he said that the part number for my VIN is the one that ends in 408. He also said that I also needed new air intakes, and a bunch of other parts so that the kit would fit. I found this very odd, because I haven't read anything on this site about all of those extra parts. He said that he spoke directly with the service manager at the dealership and also looked it up on BMW's password protected site that allows him to enter my VIN and tell him all of the information about my car. It also recommends the part number ending in 408. With this guy's estimate it would cost me over 5,000 for this M kit installation. That is crazy to me.

What are your thoughts.

Thanks,

John

jcannoles

An aquaintance at work and I both drive '08 535is and he recently had this package installed on his. Since I had been thinking about doing the same, I asked him about the experience. While I can't speak to the part numbers being correct, I can tell you that I was as surprised as you when he told me his final cost.

While the package costs approximately $1900-2000, and we understand that it comes unpainted and that's another cost, it was the additional parts that surprised him. Not only do they install new ducting to redirect the front airflow directly to the front brakes, they actually had to install new wheel well "liners" to accommodate the ducting. There were some other, smaller items involved and by the time he was done, the entire bill came to something around $4100. And the guy at the shop told him it was a learning experience for him, that he had underestimated the labor involved, and he would never do it that cheaply in the future.