Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Advice please on experience

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2011' started by jmcphillipsjr, Jun 10, 2011.

jmcphillipsjr

How similar is one of these events to the performance center schools in South Carolina. I have done the 2 day regular school in SC as well as a vehicle pickup before. I only live 45 min from Birmingham so I am very interested in attending. I have a 128i and do not "race" this car but I would think that this event would be tons of funs. For anyone with inside knowledge, should I attend the $250 sessions on Thursday? Thanks for any advice

John

MGarrison

With the exception of Tuesday, each day has different, multiple events going on. It sounds like you're expressing interest in the club's O'fest driving school which is on Wed-Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun & obviously at Barber Motorsports Park. According to the O'fest website here, it appears the weekend driver's school is for participants who have already done 15 or more driver's school days (since driver's schools are typically weekend events, I guess that would mean having done 7.5 driver's schools). If you haven't attended that many, then if you want to do a driver's school day, you should sign up for one of the weekday d.s.'s, and since, as of the moment, Friday is down to wait-list, that leaves Wednesday & Thursday for you.

I haven't done one of the BMW Perf. Center schools, but in the broadest sense, most driver's schools that are focused on maximizing the learning & safety experience for students are going to have the same elements - classroom sessions for learning, and track time for practice. The O'Fest website says the format will be four track sessions each day, approx. 25-30 mins/session. (That's a lot of track time!) - There will also be several mandatory classroom sessions - typically there are 4 groups, based on experience level. If you're not in the most experienced groups, you'll be starting the day in with a classroom session to get some of the basics, some of which will be familiar from your Perf. Center school, and some of which will be new, or track-specific. If your schedule may allow for it and you're interested in maximizing your track experience, consider doing Wed. and Thursday. Particularly when early in the learning curve, the first day at an unfamiliar track is a lot of learning, and after getting a good night's sleep under your belt, the second day allows you to refine and really put it all together nicely. If you enjoyed your Perf. Center day and have the time, you might find getting in a 2nd day to be just that much more fun, plus allowing for everything to really 'click', as it were.

Lots more details on the O'fest driver's school tabs, and there are a number of threads here about driving schools as well. Ask any additional questions you may have too!

Since O'fest won't be getting any closer to you (probably for at least a little while, but more likely, years), if you can, come out for some of the other events, or evening events. Lots to see and do and it would be a shame to miss out when your that close!

jmcphillipsjr

Thanks for your insight...yes if I attend it will be Thursday events.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

To do or not to do. . .

. . . a driving school...

I just got back from instructing a one-day school by the LA chapter at Fontana. It was a terrific day---at least for me!---though it was a busy one for instructors! We had TWO "Delta" groups---one with drivers who at least had some sort of experience (autocross, karting, who knows?), and the other for absolutely first-time-on-a-track beginners.

I can't speak for all the students, but my three were emphatic: The had a great time, they learned important lessons, and they gained useful skills.

And that's why people like me drag themselves off to a distant track, spend a hundred bucks on gas and another on a hotel, so that we can see the excitement, enthusiasm, and confidence grow in another crop of BMW drivers.