Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Advice on purchasing preowned E60

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by MP1, Apr 12, 2008.

MP1 guest

Greetings all,

I am looking to purchase a preowned (i.e., 2004 or 2005 530). However, here is my dilemma: purchasing a 2004 530 from a private seller with no warranty (but priced "right") vs. purchasing a 2005 CPO 530 from a dealer (for a higher price and CPO warranty, of course).

The 2004 is stick, it has the cold weather and premium pkg, w/nav, but it has appx 56k miles. The car has a clean carfax and has been adult driven. i test drove the car the clutch is tight and suspension firm. However the manufacturer's warranty has expired and that concerns me. I will have the car inspected by a BMW mechanic. Assuming, the inspection reveals that the car is mechanically sound (chassis, powertrain, computer etc...) Should I be concerned about "little things" breaking down since 2004 was the first model year for the E60! (insert comments here!.....)

The 2005 that I am considering from a dealer of course would be a CPO vehicle, automatic (that would be ok) with lower miles, no nav, but would cost an additional $3 -$4K. It doesn't have the same color combo as the '04 but it is still a good looking car (orient blue with tan interior).

So, what are your thoughts. Buy from a private seller with no warranty and bank on the fact that it's "beemer" or pay a few more thousand and get it from a dealer.

Any suggestions will be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

ExGMan

Hi MP1 - Welcome to the BMWCCA site! As to your possible purchase of a 2004 or 2005 E60, there is a lot of information around regarding how complex these vehicles are. With this in mind, you might consider that the CPO vehicle will come with a 6/year-100,000-mile warranty. Maintenance is still a 4-year/50,000-mile commitment from BMWNA, so for a 2005 E60, you're possibly covered with maintenance until 2009.

Others in this forum may have different opinions, but I'd look hard at the CPO and assurances of the BMWNA. Blue with a tan interior will be gorgeous. You'll get used to the Steptronic (I did).

After you buy one, or the other, be sure to join the BMWCCA. You'll find yourself part of a wonderful community.;)

az3579

If you can mentally live with an automatic (I definitely can't...), I'm thinking the 2005 is a good buy. The CPO warranty on it seems rather good. The extra money I think is justified by the warranty and the fact that you can get peace of mind with it being certified pre-owned. The one for sale from the private owner has no guarantees of it being completely kosher.

Besides, I agree with ExGMan - blue on tan is an awesome color combo, but then again, everyone has a different cup of tea. (some don't even like tea :p)

MP1 guest

Thank you

Thank you for your insights.

jayesler guest

Buy a warranty

I would buy a warranty after you buy the car from the CPO dealer, because there are a lot troubles on the 530. I would rather let you buy the 528i 2008 basic no option car.

Jonathan Spira guest

Although MY2004 was troublesome, if the car seems to be running well and passes inspection, it´s probably withstood the test of time and I would consider negotiating the price down a bit further and getting it.

Re the 2005, the CPO warranty can be a life saver or entirely useless if some of the electronics (such as iDrive) fail - check the CPO warranty carefully and see what is excluded.

tetzokabe guest

warranty is only for drive train

I think the warranty covers only for drive train, not interior, lights or electronics. My 2004 545i purchased as CPO has no trouble so far (1 year).

VAGlen guest

Apples to Oranges

It can be hard to compare two differnt cars with lots of differences when you are trying to put a value on them. There are plenty of late model 5 series out there. Take your time and find the combination of features that you want. For example, if manual is important, then I wouldn't buy an automatic - you will only regret it later.

Hopefully you are buying this car for the long haul. Take your time and be happy with it on day one. BMW doesn't compromise, so neither should you.

Blue with the light interior is gorgeous...

northern-monkey guest

Well...................I just bought an 04 black and grey to find out (in my ignorance) that it had an accident in 06 :mad: so apart from that its clean and I still have the balance of warranty , my advise would be to go for the dealer route and have peice of mind ! Good Lick !

bswihart

Can you be more specific on the a lot of troubles?

Green Knight guest

2004 E60s

I have recently bought a 2004 530i with sport/premium/coldweather packages - 6 speed - have had no trouble at all and the BMW tech [the one guy who actually doesn't make money on me] I have trusted for >15 years passed it with flying colors. As a recent owner, of course, I would be interested to know what problems people are seeing, but so far so good.

I did buy the extended maintenance package which seems to work out pretty good. I understand they are rethinking offering these - I guess because people are actually using them!

Kurt

bswihart

Have not had any problems yet. Car is solid and fun, Have not had it sideways yet but that is coming. Waiting for the right conditions (safe). Too early to tell on the extended maintenance. i bought mine from Steling BMW in Newport Beach. I would not go back their if I had a choice and I do. Items that they were supposed to correct were not corrected.

Green Knight guest

Macht Schnell!

Enjoy! It should be a great car!

Kurt