Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Advice for max performance summer tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by RWD535i, Feb 15, 2016.

RWD535i

id like to get new summer tires so as soon as winter is over so I can slap the summers back on. On my OEM rims I have the BMW approved Dunlop sp sport 01 run flat,worst tires ever. I'm trying to decide between Michelin super sport or continental extreme contact DW. My car is a 2010 E60 535i rwd black sash, sport package and every option except radar cruise, the wheels are staggered not that makes a difference.

Anyways I would love to hear personal experiances anyone has had with either of these tires. I've already read the tire rack reviews, but one person might say they are the quietest tire and another might say they are the loudest. That's the annoying thing about reviews, I'm really curious to see which one people have found quieter which is a big thing for me. I guess anything would be better than the current Dunlop summers.

charlson89

I personally like the conti. One for being a decent price compared to michelin. The super sport are great tires but wear very quickly depending on how you drive (very soft tire, great grip) Both to me a similar for noise levels. Conti's if you don't have a alignment checked ever year can begin to wear uneven and become quite noisy.

RWD535i

Thanks for the info

dmmai

Everyone's personal bias and experience can/will determine their "review" of products.
    But, here's my $.02 worth.

I've experienced Michelins on several vehicles over the years but, not within the last four years.
    Have to admit, they're darn good tires ... just a little expensive and in my case, short-lived.
    I've run Yokohama Advan S4 top end all-seasons, also good tires but they got kinda noisy and didn't last very long.
    I've been through a couple of sets of Bridgestone top end run-flat all-seasons ... absolutely awful tires IMO.
    Noisy beyond belief, rough riding and short-lived. The latest Bridgestones have improved but if given a choice I personally won't fool with them again any time soon.

We currently have one BMW running Pirelli Centurato run-flat all seasons. They give up a little in overall performance but really not bad and they currently have ~44,000 miles on them with good tread remaining and they've remained fairly quiet.

We've had two Bimmers with Continental Extreme Contact run-flat DWS tires and others with earlier non run-flat Contis. Gotta say, we've had great experience with them. Reasonably priced (as run flats go), relatively quiet, very good performance (dry, wet, snow, ice). As mentioned above, keep an eye on alignment for best results.
    They're not the absolute best dry performance but, certainly very good and they are good year round tires.
    Sure Blizzaks on dedicated rims would be better for serious winter driving but, for all season run-flats the Continentals have served us well.
    We really have had no complaints with them.

Hope this helps a little.

RWD535i

It does, I'm not doing the run flat thing anymore. My current dunlops are not rated well for noise but they are pretty quiet, I'm sure this is due to the factory designing these to have little road/wind noise.