Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

A Prodigal Returns

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Sauber, May 29, 2012.

Sauber guest

Former member of BMWCCA and the National Capital chapter, but disappeared for a few years after I moved to the mountain west. I figured it's long past time I return, so here I am.

MGarrison

Well, welcome back then!

brucembergeron

Welcome back Sauber, any good driving roads in the mountain west?

Sauber guest

Thanks to you both for the warm welcome! It's very nice to be back.

I'm finding great roads as far north as the Idaho panhandle and south to New Mexico. Colorado has been a treat to explore, too; I recently drove highway 160 from Alamosa across to Durango, and had a great time of it.

The Alpine Loop (highway 92, in Utah) has been my favorite drive so far. It takes you past Sundance and up behind Mt. Timpanogos. There's about 3,000 feet of elevation gain and it's roughly a seven mile trip, all told. Lots of great switchbacks and elevation changes, and the scenery is stunning.

Where are you located, Bruce? Any good roads by you?

brucembergeron

I'm in NH right on the VT border, so we have a lot of rural roads to choose from. The challenge is getting out early in the morning before the commuters get out. I enjoy a good spirited drive in my BMW's and motorcycles, but the track is where I get to really scratch the itch...

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Welcome back, indeed!

I like where this discussion has started to go; "good driving roads near you"!

I have been rediscovering some of the old but less traveled "national road" segments in Pennsylvania the last few months.

Sauber guest

Almost all of my experience in Pennsylvania involved the turnpike, and the never ending construction got to be a major frustration while driving through such beautiful country. I never got to see your end of the state, though. Are the roads better over there?

Sauber guest

I wondered about your profile shot. Is your wagon your regular track racer?

Only in a BMW... :)

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Turnpike?! Oh dear, you really didn't get a good impression, did you. :)

The best roads are beyond the large city exurbs, frequently following some natural feature like a river or a ridge. You'll need to give PA roads another look some time!

Sauber guest

I'll be back out that way this fall with a stop in Virginia and then a trip up to New Jersey. Any recommendations for a drive with relatively easy access from I-95?

brucembergeron

Sauber, yes I have been tracking my 5 series touring, but I've recently decided I want to get more serious about track driving so I bought a 95 M3 last month. In fact, I picked it up in St. Louis and drove it home to NH. The drive took me through PA, and I spent some fun hours driving the northern part of PA. There are some great roads in northern PA.