Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

'98 323is Oil Change - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by DRP, Nov 3, 2009.

DRP guest

I am about to perform my first DIY oil change on my recently purchased '98 323is and I am looking for the best oil option. I searched the forums but could not find something addressing oil choice for my car specifically.

Here is the data on the car:
    '98 E36 323is 2.5L 5-speed Coupe
    41,000 miles
    The car is in excellent condition and runs (I have been told by other BMW enthusiasts) perfectly
    Last oil change was at 38,000 miles by the guy I bought the car from. I am not sure what he used.

I need help deciding on an oil that I can stick with for the life of the car (I plan to keep it for a long time). My questions are:
    1. Mineral or synthetic?
    2. Brand?
    3. 5w30 or 0w40 or other?

Thanks in advance!
    Joe

John in VA

I've read far too many oil threads since getting our '00 328i. Try a search on an E36 forum like http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14 for more opinions.
    My car has had only BMW's Castrol 5W30. Apparently BMW wants you to use oils certified for Long Life, and you'll find this mentioned on some Euro oil brands.
    I'm not waiting 15K miles to change, so will consider Mobil1 0W40 when I use up my Castrol stock, changing it at 5-7K intervals.

elongino guest

oil

I use Castrol Syntec in my e36 M3. I have also used BMW oil in the past with no issues.

MGarrison

DRP guest

Thanks

Thanks guys. I have talked to a few BMW mechanics and I decided to use Mobil1 5W30.

Steven Otto

I have a 96 328i. Bought it used back in 98 with 28K on the clock. It now has 192K on it with no mechanical issues. I run Amsoil 15-40 in it. But in all reality, run any decent synthetic through it, change it every 5k miles and never worry about it.