Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

'96 740i Steering prob

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by lstubbs56, Oct 17, 2012.

lstubbs56

Steering wheel has "centered" itself 20-30 degrees left and continues to track just fine after several alignments...new tires, wheels balanced etc. Any experience w. this? Some worn steering column bushing, whatever? Help

MGarrison

Who's doing your alignments? If you've had the same problem each time out of the same alignment shop, it might be worth at least getting the opinion out of another alignment shop, that you find has familiarity and experience with BMW's. Mileage? The front suspension on those cars is a rather complicated setup, lots of parts, with bushings, and thrust arms, etc, etc. Not unusual for all the front end pieces to need replacing as you roll on into the 100k+ mileages. I'm wondering if something else suspension-wise is worn, relating to your issue. Maybe a steering-rack issue. I'm not sure if E38's have a steering box - perhaps check realoem.com, enter your serial number, or check your month of production.

alpinaman

they dont have a box , does sound like eighter the alignment tech isnt doing it right

i would go under the car and look at the tie rod ends id like to see both sides with equal space from the nut to the end of the tie rod

alpinaman

my bad im wrong

it does have a steering box

maybe the u joint or the coupling on the steering shaft ?

do you have any steering play ?