Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

76 2002 shoe adjust

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by rusty76, Jul 7, 2008.

rusty76 guest

I'm having a hard time adjusting shoes. Photograph in manual shows a "BMW" offset wrench. I can get the open end of a 17mm on the nut, but I'm starting to round nut. I disconnected shock hoping to gain access with closed end but no go. PB blaster doesn't seem to help, either.

This job was hard 20 years ago, but what I did was remove the drum and shoes, put the wrench on the bolt, put a vicegrip on the shaft where the shoe rides, an apply some heat to the backing plate with a propane torch, and wiggle the eccentric back and forth til you can turn it completly around, then keep turning as you apply pb blaster, then switch to wurth hhs or another high temp liquid lubricant. Spray the bolt head regularly to keep it loose.

Try using Break Free CLP rather than PB Blaster. It is available at gun shops or sometimes in the gun department at WalMart. Instead of the offset wrench use a 17mm crowsfoot with a 2 inch extension and a ratchet. This will enable you to apply a great deal more force to the adjusters without rounding them off. If you don't have any luck, apply heat with a torch and retry. Sometimes the drums are so badly worn that you can't remove them until the adjusters are backed all the way off. Soak the adjusters with the Break Free CLP several times a day for three or four days. Once you do get them loose and you get the drums off, apply some Coppaslip or Neversieze to the threads of the adjusters.