Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

545i automatic transmission problem

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by 350225, Jan 15, 2013.

I have a 2005 545i with automatic transmission and 81,000 miles. I have owned the car since new and kept it strictly dealer serviced. Recently the transmission has started going into "safe" mode, meaning it selects 3rd gear and stays there. Shutting off and recranking the car will clear the fault and it operates normally, for a few weeks, when without warning it will again enter "safe" mode. I took the car to the dealer for diagnosis and repair and was told--the transmission is detecting slippage (none apparent to the driver by the way) and then dropping into "safe" mode. Further I am told, BMW sells no individual parts to the transmission so the repair will.....require a new transmission, at $6000 plus labor to replace. YIKES!! Is there another solution or remedy? I have located "rebuilt transmissions, new OEM" on the web but know nothing about their reliability or service expectations. Any help appreciated, thanks.
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

There are companies out there that do rebuild those transmission but it's still labor intensive making it still pricy. Another option is to get a used transmission but you could then run into the same problem again. Did the dealer actually find faults stating gear monitoring issues?

The dealer, Leith Raleigh, who I trust, indicated the transmission was indicating a slippage during operation which was triggering the safe mode. I asked if we could by pass the Safe mode triggering and was told no. Btw, there are zero drivability issues---no slippage detectable, or hard shifting, etc---either under light throttle loads or hammering. It remains an intermittent issue. The pricing I saw on reman. transmissions was appx $2800, which isn't too bad. Thanks so much for the reply. I am new to Forum, but have had lots of BMW's --6 at the moment, and bought my first new in the early 70's--an inka 2002Tii...which I certainly wish I had back!!