Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

540i Replacing Fan blades and clutch

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by kearnsclan, Mar 31, 2010.

kearnsclan guest

2001 540i 6spd 86k miles.

Need some help with info about new fan blades and clutch replacement

Have the new clutch and blades coming for routine maintenance replacement. Have heard too many horror stories of fan blades breaking and destroying hood and hoses.

Any special info or procedure I need to follow to assemble the new blades to new clutch and what torque values for the bolts?

I am aware of the reverse threads on the fan nut and the cord trick to get the nut reattached to the pully.

what about this idea not to lay the fan clutch down, but keep it upright when taken off the car. Does this apply to the new clutch in the box??

What gives on not laying the clutch down??

John in VA

I've not removed a fan/clutch on an E39, but the reverse threaded 32mm nut can be tough to remove if it hasn't been off in 9 years. You'll need a thin wrench (I got one from a bicycle shop - a head set wrench - for <$10). You may need to use a long screwdriver to wedge across 2 diagonal bolt heads on the front of the pulley while you try to loosen the big nut.
    Apply some anti-seize on the big nut threads and just spin the fan clutch back on. No need to use much torque.
    I understood the fluid in the fan clutch could leak out if laid flat, but the new Behr clutch I recently purchased has arrows on the box instructing to keep it flat. ??

kearnsclan guest

Thanks for the tips....

Sounds like your new Behr fan clutch would be easier to keep flat while it's not on the car.

I guess there will be no teacher like experience.......gulp!!!

appreciate you time and help !

John in VA

This a pic of the set-up on a 528i - might look somewhat similar to yours:

Note the Screwdriver trick between the WP small nut and the large 32-mm nut. NOTE that this is a 32-mm nut REVERSE Thread. It comes out together with the Fan Shroud.
    [IMG]